XXIV

" So one more time." Henry says and everybody groans.

" We act like we are there to return the kids but we really stage a run in for Charlotte and the mean employee lady." Jasper says with boredom dripping from his mouth.

"Yeah and then I get her all pissy with how good I raised the kids and hope she says something about the abuse they face to spite me." I chime in.

"And if that doesn't work we return the kids with the camcorders on and see if we get some incriminating evidence in the next 48 hours or so." Ray says.

"Alright okay good. So we all got it?" Henry asks.

Schwoz groans. "Yes just like ve had it for the past fifteen hours !!" Schwoz yells exasperatedly. Henry turns a little pink and nods his head then leaves.

"Good job Schwoz." Ray comments and then he smacks him upside his head.

" Everyone just go to sleep. We all know the plan so no need to keep drilling it. Sleep well." I say dismissing everyone. Jasper and Chloe head back to their apartment. Tomorrow is the big bust day, well hopefully it is.

We take our kids back tomorrow and I didn't think about it until now but we did it. We parented 4 kids for 6 months. I can't believe it's over. I can't believe I have a boyfriend now and more than anything I can't believe everything is working like it was before only ten times better.

"Henry has been really running point on this mission and I suspect it ain't just because our kids are at stake here." I blurt catching Ray before he disappears. He halts in his steps and seems to sigh. He turns around and smiles sadly at me.

" Captain Man?" I ask and Ray rolls his eyes.

"Ugh don't call me that!" Ray groans and I smile knowing whatever it is must not be too bad.

"Alright Ray, what's going on?" I ask and he just shrugs his shoulders.

"I figure why not let the kid run lead ? I mean you guys are almost adults. You don't really need old man Ray anymore." He says lightly but his words have more weight than they should judging by the way his smile slowly disappears.

" What are you talking about ? Of course we need you. " I exclaim.

"Charlotte." Ray says calmly and I freeze.

"Oh this is serious, what is it?" I ask. Ray sits on the couch and he gives me that sad smile again. He pats the seat next to him and I sit down preparing for the worst.

" Schwoz and I ran some tests a few weeks ago. As it turns out, my indestructability had been going away." He says.

"What do you mean going away ? You're not indestructible anymore ?"

" I still am just not as much. I'm slowly becoming normal. I'm practically useless if I can just get hurt like everyone else. I'd be a liability in the field and I can't run point because all my points revolved around me being able to always throw myself in the line of fire. Without that, I'm no hero." Ray spiels. I shake my head immediately.

"That's not true at all and you know it. Henry was your sidekick long before he got his hypermotility!" I nearly shout.

"We gave him hypermotility because it was dangerous fighting bad guys without having an edge over them! I'm losing my edge dammit!" Ray blows up. He stands up abruptly and breathes heavily.

"Okay, why can't we just give you medicine and fix it? Let me help, I'm studying medicine in school and I can combine my med and tech knowledge to help." I assert. Ray shakes his head. "Why not? If this is because I'm a girl so help me lord I will-"

Not Used To Itजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें