Chapter 17

Alec's and Isabelle's expression that had a mix of both confusion as to why their dad would come into their's mom's office and anger to how could their dad cheat on their mom.

"Robert, what are you doing here?" Maryse asked trying her best not to burst out.

"I wanted to...... um.. apologize for my mistake," Robert answered with guilt and shame.

"You don't call this, a mistake." Alec scoffed at his father.

"Alec..." Maryse quietly warned.

"No mom, don't tell us to keep quiet. Not now." Isabelle defended her brother and tried her best not to look at her father's eyes.

"I know you all are angry at me right now," Robert said trying his best not to break down. Alec started walking towards him, Maryse tried to stop him, but he kept walking towards his dad and gave him a deathly glare.

"It's best that you leave father." Alec sternly stated.

"Alec, I know you are mad at me, but-" Robert tried to talk it out with Alec, but Alec wasn't in the mood of talking.

"Leave, please." Alec tried to sound as calm as possible.

"But Al-" Robert was interrupted by Alec's furious voice. "I WON'T say it again." His dad was getting on Alec's nerves and his father silently left without saying another word and with his head facing the ground in shame. Isabelle felt horrible for what her dad did to her mom and the way her brother acted towards their dad. Maryse put her hand lighted on top of Alec's shoulder and whispered something to him. In return, Alec nodded silently and went out the door leaving Isabelle and Maryse alone.

"Isabelle," Maryse said softly and hugged her daughter. Which she usually never did. Isabelle was taken aback from this interaction between them. But, she had to admit, she did miss her mom's warm hugs, so she hugged her mom tightly trying to make this moment last with her mom. Isabelle could hear silent sobs from her mother and stroked her mother's back to calm her down

"Mom, it's going to be okay. Me and Alec are always going to be here for you. Day and night. We will always be here." Isabelle assured her mom and she heard a soft chuckle in response.

"Oh, my baby girl. You have no idea how much I love you and how proud I am of you." Isabelle was so touched by her mother's words and hugged her tightly. After a few seconds, her mom broke from the hug and touched Isabelle's shoulders and left out a sigh. "One more thing, don't let anyone know what happened between your father and me. Not even Jace." Isabelle was confused as to why Jace shouldn't know.

"Why not Jace?" Isabelle asked.

"Because we are the only family that he has and if we tell him that it will break. It could break him." Maryse took a pause before continuing. "And even though he might be one of our best physically strong shadowhunters, he is still a child by heart. He would completely lose himself." Even though Maryse was right, Isabelle felt like Jace has a right to know what's going in his family, because it is his.

"Don't you think, Jace deserves to know. He is also part of the family. And he could prove himself to be strong enough if you gave him a chance." Isabelle suggested and was about to head out the room when the door flung open with Clary panting and catching her breath as she was about to speak.

"There is a demon attack in the Institute. And you need to get out NOW!" 

(Sorry for the late update. And thank you for reading my story <3)