Versus the Mountain

-15 Years Ago-

A man ran down an abandoned parking lot with two babies in his arms.

He glanced behind him to make sure he was in the clear.

"Randall! Over here!" Leo motioned him, in a hushed voice.

The man named Randall went behind a cemented wall over to Leo.

"Were you followed?" Leo asked him.

"They're right behind me." Randall replied, "They came to the house."

"Oh, Randall, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault." Leo apologized, sincerely. "W-W-What can I do?"

"You can protect these two." Randall suggested. "They won't be safe with us, not with those people hunting us down."

Randall glanced behind the wall, "Who are they?"

"They're with Harper." Leo informed, "Who else could it be?" Leo shook his head, "What are you gonna do?"

"Leave town." Randal declared, "Change my identity. Just keep running until the give up."

"This way!" A faint shout was heard in the distance and footsteps gradually got closer.

"They're coming!" Leo notified.

"Are you sure you can keep them safe?" Randall questioned him.

"I promise. I will find them nice families to live with." Leo promised him, sincerely.

The two babies were sleeping peacefully in the man's arms.

"He doesn't like strained peas and she doesn't like peaches." Randall handed Leo the two babies and took out two stuffed animals. "And this is Mr. Wooby and  this is Sparky. They never go to sleep without them." He handed Leo the stuffed bear and the stuffed bunny.

Randall stared at his son's peaceful face, "I love you so much. Which is why I have to leave you here." The toddler cooed as Randall kissed his son's forehead. Randall shifted his vision to the baby girl, who was staring back at him. Her big brown eyes sparkling at him.

"You will be safe, little one, I promise. You'll find a nice family to live with." Randall stroked his thumb on his cheek, which made her giggle.

"Over here!" A man shouted which made Randall panic.

"I gotta go."

Leo nodded.

"Thanks Leo. Maybe we'll see each other again someday." Randall told him, with hope in his eyes.

"Good luck, Randall." Leo told him, as Randall began to leave. "Oh, wait." Randall turned back to him. "What are their names?"

"Ryan and Veronica. They're names are Ryan and Veronica." Randall informed, and Leo glanced down at the two babies. Ryan and Veronica were smiling at each other, completely oblivious to what was happening.

"I'll draw them away from you." Randall told him, before he revealed himself. "Leave me alone!"

Randall sprinted passed the two guards.