Versus The Arctic

Veronica's POV

The repair cycle ended and it was time to head to the Arctic. Honestly, I'm a little nervous about this, because I can't handle cold temperatures. My body could possibly freeze if I stay outside in the cold to long.

We all had to come up with believable excuses to tell our parents while we were away. I don't know what Spyder, Veracity or Harris are going to say but Mark is going to a convention with his new girlfriend, Georgia. Georgia is a nice girl and seems like Mark's type.

Ryan and I are suppose to be going to an academic bowl with Harris to be his emotional support. One of the worst excuses I've ever heard, but Grace bought it.

Ryan was on the phone with his brother making sure Mark as his cover story ready for mom, he was on speaking phone so I could listen.

"Hey, you ready?" Ryan asked Mark.

"Yeah. What about you two?" Mark questioned. "You got your cover story straight for mom?"

"Yeah, we're supposed to be going with Harris to some academic bowl, and we'll be his emotional support." I notified Mark.

"Right." Mark said, "And I'm going to a video game convention with Georgia and her family. Okay, I gotta stop talking. I don't wanna smudge the fake scar."

I giggled under my breath. I didn't think he was actually seriously going to that convention,

"Come on, are you wearing that little costume that your girlfriend made you wear?" Ryan questioned, amused.

"It's a warrior's outfit." Mark defended.

"Uh-huh." Ryan and I nodded.

"Yes." Mark concluded.

Ryan and I both began to laugh. That's hilarious, but at the same time kind of sweet.

"But it's the perfect cover story." Mark ignored our laughter. "All right, I'm only gonna be at the convention for one day, mom thinks I'll be here for three, so I'm covered for the next two days."

I glanced back at Grace who was selling food from her food truck.

"All right, and then we'll take Mech-X5 up to the Arctic, we'll take on Traeger, and we'll destroy the weapon." Ryan explained.

"And then we'll be back before anybody else misses us." I finished.

"I gotta go." Mark told us, then hung up.

Ryan made whip noises with his mouth to teases Mark. I scoffed and playfully hit his shoulder.

Ryan grinned at me in return.

"Ryan? Veronica?"

Us two turned towards the voice to see Grace walking towards us.

"I want you and your brother to know, that I'm onto you." Ryan and I glanced at each other. "And I know you think you're fooling me, but I do not want a birthday gift this year, okay?"

My body got filled with relief when she said that.

"Every year you guys fight about the gift and it always ruins my birthday dinner." Grace continue, sorrowfully.

I folded my arms confused. "What do you mean?"

Grace began to explain what happened on her birthday. Like eleven years ago, they went out and the boys fought over the gift. Then last year the boys bought her a photo locket with no photo in it and the boys fought over the gift again and it ended with the locket getting burnt.

I decided not to let out a laugh because that would be rude and disrespectful, even if it was funny.

"So I already told your brother and I'm telling you. No gifts. This goes for you too, Veronica." Grace instructed.