SECRETS

After seeing Bruce off, early the next morning, I decided to go for a jog since it was too early to contact Danny about lunch. I made my way down to the lobby and asked the lady running the front desk where the nearest park was. It wasn't too far, so I decided to jog there, then do a few laps around it. Alright, Bruce said investigate, so I guess it's time to see what the locals have to say. I stopped at a bench another jogger was standing at stretching, he looked to be about Bruce's age with a slim build, sandy hair and brown eyes. "Nice morning for a jog isn't it?" He asked with a polite smile. I nod and say " sure is, where I'm from you usually can't see for the smog, although Gotham is a much bigger city." "Is it true what they say about this place, is it really haunted?" I ask with a playful expression as if I'm only asking as a joke. The jogger looks at me with a serious expression and instead of answering my question asked instead, "How long are you planning on staying in Amity Park?" "Oh, I'm not sure" I answer, "I'm visiting family that lives here." He gives me a contemplative look and says, "if you stay around long enough you'll see for yourself." The jogger turns and runs down the path, the way I had come from.

Well that was strange, I wonder what he meant by that? Maybe Bruce was right,(when is he not) if he had reservations about the League's findings, then maybe there is more going on here. I wondered around the park making conversation with the few people out that early, but I mostly got some variation of the same answer. I guess most of them where afraid of being laughed at or called crazy. Although, one woman who was out doing yoga, said if I wanted to really know I should talk to the local ghost hunters, the Fentons. I smiled politely and thanked her, but didn't mention anything about already knowing them somewhat. I checked my watch, and realized I needed to get back to the hotel and get cleaned up so I could meet up with Danny, when this older guy, in dirty, baggy clothes that smelled of alcohol stopped me and says words slurring "Yes, the town is haunted, but you see no one has made a fuss about the Justice League or anyone else calling us a hoax, because we already have a hero. His name is Phantom. He's a ghost but he keeps the other ghost from taken over. You'll see him if your here long enough." "Thanks" I say and give him the change I had brought with me which wasn't much, I didn't feel too bad about it considering he would probably spend it on more booze. Considering he already reeks of alcohol this early, I probably shouldn't put too much stock into his words, but I won't discount them completely. I looked down at my watch and realized, I needed to get back, and hurried out of the park. 

After my shower, I dressed in black jeans, and a dark blue t shirt that Babs had assured me brought out my eyes. Not that I'm trying to impress anyone or anything, Oh who am kidding I really want the kid to like me. I decided to send a simple text to Danny so I wouldn't sound desperate. Hey, we still on for lunch? I waited a few minutes without reply, just when I was starting think about calling my phone sent an alert letting me know I had a new message. Sorry just got out of the shower. What kind of foods do you like? I was giddy with excitement. I sent back, I don't care, I'm good with anything, it's my treat. After a moment Danny sent back, How about Nasty Burger? I know the name seems weird but it's actually pretty good for a burger place. I quickly sent back, sounds good. meet in about 30 minutes? Danny: see you there. 

I went down to the lobby and asked the lady, Victoria where to find the Nasty Burger. After getting directions I got into the rental car, and made my way there. I knew I would be early but I couldn't wait  in the hotel any longer.  There's wasn't too many places to park, so I parked as far away from the building as I could to wait for Danny to show. It's May and already warm, so I decided to sit partially on the hood and enjoy the sun. I didn't get too many opportunities in Gotham what with being a college student by day and Nightwing by night. It's a good thing the semester is over and I decided not to apply for summer classes, if mine and Bruce's suspicions are correct then I may be here longer than I thought. Although, if I hadn't taken that year off I would be done by now. Oh well, I needed that year. I looked up and noticed Danny walking toward me from the opposite direction of his house. I wonder where he came from, he said in his message he had just got out of the shower?  How is he not sweating in what he's wearing? It's way too hot for blue jeans and a black long sleeve shirt, yet he looks perfectly comfortable, even though he had to of walked a little ways to get here, unless he didn't have to come the normal way. He doesn't look like he's in pain anymore either. He's either very good at hiding it, or he is a meta and heals quickly. 

Danny looked up and gave a wide smile and open expression as he walked up to the car. He seems a lot more relaxed than before. "I know you haven't been in town long but what do you think so far." He asked. "Well, it seems to be 'a nice place to live.'" He laughed knowing I was quoting the sign. "It has its moments" He says with a grin. We start walking toward the restaurant and he asks. "What's it like living in Gotham?"Technically I live in Bludhaven but they both have there moments." I answer back with a smile. He laughs. "Your just staying a week right, are you missing classes?" I shake my head. "I'm done for the summer." "Lucky" he grumble good naturally " we have a few more weeks left." We make it inside and get in line. Its not too long considering it's a Saturday. "What do you recommend?" I ask him while we wait. "Anything but the chili, unless you enjoy spending a significant amount of time in the bathroom." He says with shudder. "Got it" I reply back. We order and find a table while we wait for the food to come up. I'm surprised by how much food Danny orders considering how slim he is, I would almost say he's underweight. He ordered the largest burger they had with large fries a soda, and a large strawberry milkshake. My surprise must have shown because he looked up with a sheepish expression, and offered to pay for his part. I laugh and say "I'm pretty sure I can afford it." "You just don't look like you could eat that much." Don't let my size fool you." He replies "I can eat a ton, I'm always hungry, and besides I had to skip breakfast this morning." He didn't offer an explanation on why he had to skip breakfast that morning, so I decided not to push him. I asked instead, "when you said your always hungry, do you mean you don't get enough to eat?" He shakes his head quickly. "No I mean some times I'm too busy, but it takes a lot more food than you would think to fill me up, and it doesn't take long for me to get hungry again." Hmm, It sounds like he has a fast metabolism, he needs to up his caloric intake, if he's going to put on weight. "You know" I say in a causal manner " a lot of people in our family had unusually fast metabolisms, Bruce use to order me vitamins, and Alfred our caretaker, had high calorie meals he would make me, well he would make them for Wally but whatever, I could get him to email some recipes to your mom, and get Bruce to order some of the vitamins for you. "Really?" He says hopefully. He gives me a wide smile at my nod. "Thanks Dick" he says quietly "Don't even know me really and already trying to take care of me." Worried I overstepped I ask, "Is that okay?"I didn't mean anything by it, I just know how hard it can be to feel hungry all the time." He looks at me with an unreadable expression on his face and says, "no, it's fine I'm just not used to it much, I mean my family's great they just tend to be a bit obsessed, you know, my parents with their work and Jazz,my sister, does a lot of extra stuff for school trying to make sure she gets into a good college. 

We hear our number called and I offer to go get our food. We eat and and exchange easy conversation. After we're done Danny leans forward and I know he's going to start asking the hard questions when he let's out a gasp and a puff of air. Where did that come from it's not nearly cold enough for his breath to show. He looked around nervously, then says "I need to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back." 

 As soon as he's out of sight all hell breaks loose.