WatchTower

I arrived in plenty of time before the medication wore off. I gave a quick nod to the few league members I passed on my way to the medbay. I arrived to see Batman sitting with Danny as our team of medical experts finished running some test. "How is he?" I ask quietly. Batman nods toward the team and says "I'll let them explain what they found, but for now he's resting comfortably." I give my mentor and father figure a half-smile and nod, relieved that Danny isn't suffering right now.

 The head of the team steps forward "I'm Doctor Nobbs" the middle age man with thinning hair introduces. I nod at him "what have you found so far?" I ask. He takes a breath, "Batman told us your theory about Phantom's high metabolism and the test we have run so far show that to be true." "We have increased the nutrition in his IV, and the normal fluids he was being given to prevent dehydration." "His body is using more of everything it's given." I give him a nod to show I understand so far. I ask "and his pain, will you be able to keep that under control?" He gives me an understanding smile and answers "yes, we modified more of the drug that was originally developed for Flash, with Phantoms height and weight and metabolism in mind." I smile back at him relieved to know my little brother is in good hands.

 I notice him frown and look back at me unsure then he seems to gather up the courage to say "there is one thing we can't seem to figure out." "His body temperature keeps falling for no obvious reason, we are keeping it normal with electric blankets for now." "I noticed in the records from the hospital he was moved from the doctors there seemed to have the same problem." I give him a contemplative look and ask "what does that mean for Phantom?" Doctor Nobbs shakes his head "I don't know, but we are watching it closely." I nod at him and turn to Batman who stands up and looks at me and says "I am going to do more research on the Mayor call me when he wakes." I tilt my head to show I was listening, and Batman leaves along with the medical team after assuring me Danny was stable for now and that they would be listening for any alerts to changes in his condition. I sit beside Danny and take his hand."Alright little brother, you're here and you're safe, it's going to be alright."

Danny sleeps for two more days, the Doctors using the drug to keep him relaxed and pain free. The Doctors are currently surrounding Danny's bed doing an assessment, their coats looking like a wall of white. Batman and J'onn come through the door. J'onn having made it a habit to check in on us while he's here doing monitor duty. I watch them walk over and look back over at Danny's bed, where the Doctors are still working. Dr.Nobbs breaks away from the group and walks over to us. He has a contemplative look on his face and he says "increasing Phantoms intake and keeping him comfortable has helped the healing process, there is one thing bothering us though."

 He pauses for a moment gathering his thoughts and continues "it almost seems as if his body is trying to fight something, like he has a fever, even though his body temperature is normal." I think about what the Doctor said something bothering me about the situation but unable to pin point what it is. A memory starts to surface of Danny in long sleeves on a hot summer day, when there is a flash of light and Danny, in his other form, flies across the room panic clear on his face. Batman barks out a clear order for the Doctors "GET OUT" No one dares argue and soon it's just Phantom, Batman, Martian manhunter, and me in the room. I look at Batman who nods his head without taking his eyes off Phantom, probably already aware of what I want to do. I put my hands up and take off my mask and slowly start toward my brother, who is rapidly looking around the room confusion on his face. I call out softly "Danny...It's me. Dick." He looks at me with unfocused eyes and says "Dick?" "They took you too?" Don't worry I won't let them hurt you." Some of his words are slurred but a translucent light green shield forms around me as he keeps looking around. I look at Batman confused and ask Danny "who are you talking about Danny?" He answers"The Guys in White" and starts mumbling about labs and painful experiments, his eyes becoming even more unfocused. Rage swept through me. Had someone hurt my brother? I take a breath and put that away to focus on another time.