Free

I came back to awareness slowly, but the first thing to hit me, PAIN, yeah the kind of pain that just consumes you. I HURT everywhere but especially my chest. My very core throbbed. Wait? My core? Pain means I'm not dead right? Where am I? What happened? Dick!!!!!! I let out a muffled groan and felt someone shift beside me.

Then I hear "Danny?" Even though the tiniest movement hurts I open my eyes just to slam them shut a moment later. Why do people keep bright lights on over people who are injured or sick? I could tell the light dimmed some, so I opened my eyes and could see my Dad's distressed face leaning over me. I tried to smile but it probably looked more like a grimace. He reached out and run his hand through my hair. He looked terrible like he hadn't slept for several days. I felt guilty knowing it was my fault he looked like that.

His face softened and he ask "are you hurting Danno?" I nod but ask the question that's been bugging me since I woke up.

"Where's Nightwing?" "Is he okay?"

My Dad smiles and says "he's fine, he's just resting right now."

I feel warmth flow through me, the pain is easing off, and I know he gave me something for it. I grab his arm suddenly afraid he won't be there when I wake back up, I look up at him and say softly "stay."

He nods and says "don't worry son, I'm not going anywhere." I want to ask him what happened, but I'm starting to get the weighed down feeling and eventually I shut my eyes and let the darkness take me away.

When I woke again I looked over and saw my Dad slumped down in an uncomfortable looking chair, sleeping. I tried to sit up but a sharp pain went through my chest. I clutched at the spot and laid back into the bed.

As I'm trying to catch my breath I hear a familiar voice say dryly "yeah you probably don't want to move around too much your Dad said you damaged your core." "Maybe permanently."

I look over at Dick, he's dressed in civilian clothes with sunglasses on, but pulled back resting on the top of his head. I look in his eyes and can see controlled fury in them. I can almost feel the anger rolling off of him.I slowly make my way into a sitting position with pillows behind me. I glance down at his abdomen and ask "are you okay?" He lifts his shirt up and a faded pink scar is in the spot where he was shot. He lets his shirt fall back into place. I look back into his face and say "your mad." "Why are you mad?"

He looks and me and says incredulously "WHY!" My Dad shifts in the chair and mumbles, so Dick takes a breath and hisses out quietly "why do think?" I just gaze back at him not saying anything for several moments.

Then I say quietly "your mad that I tricked Batman into taking the cuff off so I could save you." He paces agitated then turns back to me and says "Danny I'm the big brother it's my job......."

I interrupt softly "No." He stops and looks at me. I look at him calmly and say "I will always put my family first." "If it's a choice between me and anyone else, I will always choose the other person." "It's who I am Dick, and when it comes to my family that choice is even easier." He stares back at me blankly for several moments. Even though his expression wasn't giving anything away, I could almost feel the pride he felt but also fear. Fear for me. I felt guilty at that but didn't say anything to reassure him. I could't. I know he's afraid to lose anymore of his family but I'm a hero it's just who am to save people, even if I have to sacrifice myself to do it.

I watch him as he debates with himself whether or not to leave or stay with me, eventually he must decide to stay because he comes over to the bed. I shift over so he can sit with me. Doing so sends a sharp spike of pain through me, but I don't say anything, I need my big brother. He sits down and puts his arm around my shoulders. I lean into him and we sit in silence for awhile. It turns out that was a bad idea. I really started to think about what happened. My MOM gave me blood blossom extract, even after I told her it would kill me, and when that didn't work she tried to shoot me. She did shoot my brother, even if she didn't know it was him. My own Mother would rather see me dead, than for me to be any variation of a ghost. I started trembling then I felt tears well up in my eyes. I tried not to let Dick see me distraught but I'm sure he could feel me shaking beside him.