Chapter 1: Luca

I've known ever since I was young. It was hard not to. I think I may have always known, even before I discovered the truth. Adults could tell. They knew what I was. They wouldn't say anything to me. No, I was just a child. Subject to be the butt of everyone's joke without really understanding why. It was like a big secret that everyone knew about but me.

I was a monster. I was different. I was a murderer. I was a freak.

"Stay away from him," certain parents would whisper, but others remain in blissful ignorance. They don't know what I am. What a danger I am to their children.

I'm not human. I'm—

"Luca Kade."

I blink out of my thoughts to see Ms. Lilith, my English teacher. She looks at me with a gentle expression. Ms. Lilith is my favorite teacher, for reasons that aren't too difficult to figure out. Something about her just makes me feel safe. She's so kind to all of her students; she lets me stay later to help her out instead of going back to the orphanage.

"Sorry, Ms. Lilith. What did you say?" I straighten up in my chair, avoiding the probing eyes of my classmates.

"Luca, you are wanted down at the counselor's office," she says kindly. "You can leave your books."

I blink for a moment, confused. Why do I have to go to the counselor's office?

I stand and head for the door. The halls are empty with the exception of a few students that wander around, skipping out on class for whatever reason.

The trek to the counselor's office isn't nearly as long as I thought it would be. My counselor, Mr. Covvel, sits behind his desk waiting for me, but he's not alone. Mr. Riti and Mrs. Hanberg, the Principal and Vice Principal, sit next to him. The knot in my stomach grows.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Kade," Mr. Covvel says with a pleasant smile. Mr. Riti and Mrs. Hanberg smile as well.

I let the door slide shut behind me as I move to the nice chair before the desk. Why am I here? Why are the Principal and Vice Principal here? Did I do something wrong? Did they find out?

"We're so sorry, Mr. Kade—"

"Luca," I interrupt, then mentally kick myself. "Sorry."

Mr. Covvel smiles disarmingly. "Luca. I know that you have been in our school for about a month, but we just received your papers."

I freeze. I've been dreading this day. Now they know that I'm not a Vampire.

"We are so sorry," Mrs. Hanberg says. "All this time you've been out of the special classes."

"Vampires must take two special classes," Mr. Riti adds. "One is to control your thirst and the other to learn your history."