Chapter 2: Where's Diane?

The bowling part was great, but the sleepover part was fascinating. Diane played rogue and ran out the sliding glass door in the kitchen, straight into early February’s chilly night. We chased her, until we all were scrambled.

"Meaghan?" I looked for my sneaky friend that I chose randomly.

"Boo!" she sprung up from a nearby shrub. I am not a screamer, but one heck of a jumper. "Ha-ha! Got you!" she giggled, as other girls turned the corner. As we strolled back to the big, glass door in the kitchen, Trinity turned around.

"Yo, Diane," and then her forehead creased, "Where's Diane?"

Everyone looked bewilderedly in all directions, waiting for her to pop out from somewhere, but she didn't.

A few heads snapped up when a cry of pain rung from the place in which we came. As we entered the back yard, I spotted Diane slouched over a tree, rocking back and forth.

"Diane! What happened?" Sabrina knelt down next to her.

"It bit me! It bit me!" her legs shook. "Only when I picked it up. Not even when I stoked it," she made a petting movement, "I hate squirrels! Hate 'em!" she sputtered as Sabrina stood up, and the five of us lead her into the house with shaking heads.

"Diane got bit by a squirrel!" Kate sang as the group busted through the door.

"What?!" Sue-that was her mother's name- almost tore her newspaper as she slammed it down on the marble counter.

"It was cute!" Diane revealed the bloody wound, "The bite isn't deep," she shrugged. Sue got out a first aid kit.

"Ugh," Sabrina gagged, and scurried out the room. Kate seemed intrigued by the bite, and I couldn't help being curious of what happened myself. Vicky's face was scrunched up as she followed Sabrina.

"That special kit saves you a trip to the E.R!" Trinity chuckled, and Meaghan grinned.

"If it's not better or worsens by tomorrow, off to see the quack." her mom scooted Diane off the counter and gathered garbage.

"What time is it?" Diane's eyelids dropped.

"Uh," Trinity glanced at her cell phone, "Ten fifteen."

"Time to hit the sack!" Dianna bounced to the living room, and plopped onto the pale couch, shoes and all.

"Um, Diane?" Meg raised a finger uneasily, "that's where Jen and I are gonna sleep."

She grumbled inaudible words as she ripped a blanket off the couch, threw a large maroon pillow on the floor, and collapsed.

After we were all dressed and settled, Dianna started her rave. Her arm tingled. She felt dizzy, and tired. Fortunately, sleep found me before anybody else.