Chapter 14: Voyage

“Wow,” I breathed, “Look at that view! I miss the Poconos!”

“It’s not that amazing,” Lucinda crinkled her nose.

“Nature isn’t her thing, I guess,” Meaghan zipped up her green jacket.

“You won’t need that when we reach Clarks Summit,” I told her.

“Is that even a place?”

“Yes, Lucinda. My aunt used to live near there,” I rolled my eyes.

“Ahhhhhh…” a growl came from the trees.

“Freaking zombies! Hi-ya!” Lucinda kicked a zombie downhill, and leapt after him.

“Lucinda!” I cried, “Wait!”

“That chick never listens,” Meg began sliding down. “Let’s go before something bad happens.” When we reached her, she was sliding her sword into its pouch, and the decapitated man was at her feet. Lucy shook her head.

“Are you bitten?” I asked.

“Unlike you, I’m more careful,” she eyed up my wrist. I should’ve saw that coming.

“Let’s get moving! Meaghan prodded us.

Two days later, on a house rooftop in Amsterdam, New York

“Are you an idiot?” Lucinda shrieked in Meg’s face, “Guns will just attract more hoards of the undead!”

“You screaming has the same effect!” she argued back.

“Will you both shut up!” I growled, “We need to get out of the town. Look at what your racket caused!” I pointed to a small herd of infected about fifty yards from us, dragging their feet in our way. They both shook their heads at each other and jumped down.

“You guys don’t know how to scavenge, don’t you?” she looked at me.

“we will resort to that when our supplies are low.” I bit my lip and stepped over a log.

“You just did when we raided that snack shack!”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah!” She grinned.

More days passed.

“I never thought I’d be in a different country…” I said, eyeing the big, happy sign greeting us into Canada. I looked at the road, littered with empty cars.

“It is the same here as it is anywhere else. Stay low, and stay quiet.” Lucinda hushed.

“Well, here it is,” Meaghan announced. “Montreal!” We climbed over a barricade made up of cars and random building supplies, but stopped dead in our tracks. 

There was the medical center we were looking for, but hundreds of zombies lay between us, some of them cocking their heads in our direction.  Oh dear.