Chapter 6: Testing...

I scurried down the long, light gray corridor and turned sharply into a laboratory. I immediately began unpacking microscope #13 from its black case, onto one of the wooden science tables. I put the infected blood sample onto a slab, and dipped a dropper into my handmade ointment. When the medication dripped onto the blood, I peered into the lens. My foot tapped. The white blood cells didn’t soak up the medicine like some other samples. The green virus particles gladly took in the medication, though.

My hope dropped onto the floor as the virus sped up, and started to consume the blood cells. “Another accelerator!” I grumbled, and disposed of everything properly.  Oh, I remember why I had to do all this. I was too slow in getting my friend Diane when she became infected.

“You did what you could do, Jenny.” Meagan tapped my shoulder.

“It’s only the beginning; we must stick together and pull through this. Survive.” Trinity grinned. At that time, Victoria stumbled out with her hand over her wrist. She looked up at us with sorrow in her eyes. She uncapped her hand to reveal a bloody bite mark swelling on her right wrist. “Diane bit me when I came out before you guys; she appeared out of nowhere.”  Her lips barely moved.

Even if I didn’t kill her, she’d be aimlessly wandering around the world. I haven’t heard from Trinity since I turned seventeen, and Meaghan a week or two ago from today. I’m starting to regret sending her out for supplies…

I strolled down the hallway again to my professor’s room. He was a burly man who taught me everything I know now.  I knocked on the door, and cracked it open.

“Come in,” he huffed.

“It’s a class A accelerator*” my head shook.

He wiped his head with a white rag and sighed. “Something will come. Persistence is the best thing for a person.  Maybe work on the medicines that slow it down perhaps,” he swished his hand in the air.

I hopelessly nodded, turned around and walked out. A knock sounded from ahead of me. It seemed like someone was banging on metal….I put my hand on a machete I always carry and snuck over to the main doors, where the sound was coming from.

“Jenna!” a small voice rung out, “let me in!”

It can’t be…I unlocked the bolts and pulled them open. “Oh, Meaghan!” I beamed. “What did you find?” I kept on smiling; I couldn’t stop.

“Food!” she laughed, “I raided abandoned family owned shacks and found these!” she pulled out a tattered yellow envelope and placed a long brown bar into my hand. It was a Hershey’s chocolate bar.  I immediately ripped the wrapper off and chomped on the chocolate.

“I don’t know when the last time I ate chocolate was!” I exclaimed.

“In case you were wondering, there’s islands that ship supplies to the shore. They know about this base we have here.” She started eating her bar.

“So there are survivors…”

“Of course! Just because we’re living in an undead world does not mean people in here are the only ones not infected, Jen!” she rolled her eyes and trotted by me, reminding me of how she used to skip by me so happily a long time ago.