Chapter 10: Awakening

“Jenna?”

Someone approached me, and I felt them sit next to me.

“Wake up Jenna!” I recognized it was Meaghan, though everything sounded suppressed.

“Ima…” I drooled. “Ull, I’m mano?” I sucked it back into my mouth again. I pried open my eyes, and blinked repeatedly to get used to the bright light.

“You have to speak English if you need something.”

“I’m…” I pulled my heavy head up slowly, since it was throbbing. “I’m n-na...not! Dead?” I roughly sat up, and dizziness converged me. My hand tingled. Man, did I feel horrible!

“Not yet,” her voice dropped. In her hands, a knife was being twisted around and played with.

“Whoa!” I fell down on my back. “Ow… You’re gonna kill me?” my body randomly squirmed to an upright position against the wall.

“Maybe in a few hours. I was going to do it around now so you don’t have to suffer.”

“I’m fine!” I exclaimed.

“Oh, really?” she grabbed my wrist and held it up to my face. “Is this fine?”

“Yeppers! I would be puking my guts out if I weren’t. I see no dark veins taking over, no infection…” I drone on and Meg shuddered a bit.

“Unless,” she leaned in closer to the pile of glass and ointment.

“Her medication was red, while mine was a white cloudy substance, and here,” I pointed to the mess, “it’s a pink cloud.”

“Whoever she is, that woman has the second part of the cure!” she sprung up and her smile reached her eyes. “Jenny! We can finally get out of this mess!!!!”

“What?!” I squealed, and then a black thought poisoned my mind, making me frown. “I would be dancing along with you, but it’s Lucinda who has the second ingredient needed for this cure,” I shook my throbbing head.

Meaghan’s face puckered a little in confusion. “Oh! Yep. Yeah. Mhmm. That’s a problem,” she also shook her head.

“They just keep stacking up,” I eyed up my wrist. “I need to get this glass out of my arm, help me up.” I reached out for her. “So this is how Diane got infected…”

“Instead of a human, a rabid squirrel bit her, and she bit others, the world panicked and fell into chaos. La-de-da. She grabbed my good hand and hosted me up, and placed a hand on my shoulder in case I fell over. “I should tell the janitor to clean up Trinity’s corpse…”

“Huh? Trin is dead?”

“Yeah, and I believe she’s the only one that bit you.”

“Oh… I guess it is me and you then…” delusion tried to invade, but I had work to do.

“Survival of the fittest,” she bit her lip and skittered away.

Looks like I’m on my own.