Chapter 19: Questionable Plans

“Okay, I really have to go,” I got up and rinsed my ice cream bowl in the sink.

“Bye,” Giovanni rose and hugged me once more. I wiggled out and sprinted down the hall. I slammed into another person.

“ARG! WHY CAN’T I GO INTO A HALL AND NOT RUN INTO SOMEONE?!” I screeched.

“Jenna, calm down. I was just going to get you.” It was Meaghan.

“Oh hiya Meg!”

“You’re the late one now.”

“Oh I think saving another late soul is far more important than exploring…again.” I propped up against a wall.

“Yeah, yeah. Let’s go!” she grabbed my wrist and towed me away.

There was a creepy dungeon room we didn’t explore, but that could be just storage. In addition, I did not know that there was another, smaller kitchen, with only a corner table and two chairs. We raided the coke cans out of the fridge.

I don’t know why it was, but if Meg had powers, she would manipulate emotions. When I’m around her, I feel like a 12 year old, running around Diane’s yard, with the hoard of not infected friends and I didn’t feel the chance I always wanted to get the chance to lead a big group during the apocalypse, but at least I got three people. 

“Hey check this space room out!” she called after me. I snapped out of my daydreaming and looked into the window with her. It was a small room, with a flat screen television and posters, or are they monitors, against the walls. The TV was obviously made for non-recreational purposes.

“Let’s go in!” I cheered quietly. Meaghan pushed the door, which took two of us due to its extraordinary weight. When the two of slipped in, it closed with a distinctive click.

“Did the door just close behind us?” she arched her eyebrows.

“Something bad always happens when they do that!” I cried out.

We looked around, but nothing seemed troubling here. I walked over to the lab table, which had papers, and scientific experiment supplies covered on top. I pulled out one of the papers from a microscope and read it over. Nonsense. I read another one.

Thank you for cooperating. The three women will be there soon. Follow through as planned.

-D

 This half sheet might have been small, but raised so many questions. Who is ‘D’? Is he or she referring to us by the three women? What was the plan of theirs?

“Hey Becca! I think this is Cornelia’s laboratory. Shouldn’t we get out before she catches us?” she pointed at the television set which was labeled “Cornelia Wattson’s Lab”.

“Hold on. Check this out,” I handed Meg the paper. After she read it, she was about to ask the same questions I thought of, but I hushed her. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

 There was a barely inaudible moaning coming out of the walls. Along with Meaghan, we neared a door inside the room. I peered through the tiny hole in the door, and immediately jerked away when another eye came to mine.

“What the-” I began to say.

“Shush!” Meg interrupted, and looked into the hole. “I think- I think those are zombies in there.”

“Why?”

“Medical purposes perhaps? Or maybe she’s going to release all them onto us. That could be her ‘plan’.”

“I think it is just for medical reasons. Why risk being bitten herself? Even though we now have the cure, it still hurts like God knows what.” I traced the bite mark on my wrist.

“Hey, let’s go before Cornelia comes,” Meg repeated.

“Okay,” I followed her out the door. We looked around to see if anybody saw us come out. Then both of us escaped to her room, where we had a giggle fit about our trespassing.

A few minutes later Corny walked in without knocking, making us both jump and silence ourselves. Meg had an O plastered on her face.

“Be prepared,” I bet she was going to say ‘to meet my fists!’ but instead she said, “For you are going on a journey to deliver the cloned medication to Ottawa Hospital.” She continued.

“Hospitals are the worse places to go during a zombie outbreak!” Meg blurted.

She shot her a dirty look. “I know that. It is a medical center just like this. Be prepared for a long and very dangerous journey. Only one of you might come back.” She reworded my professors words, but in a sinister tone. “You leave tomorrow morning. Lucinda stays. We need her around her for…uh…physiologic purposes.” She nodded.

“It’s just the two of us?” I crinkled my nose.

“Doesn’t life suck?” she sneered before waltzing out of the room.

No…it is the people who make it stink.