Chapter 7: Strange Girls

I couldn’t help being a bit satisfied knowing that at least an island of humans are still non-infected. The smart ones, I smirked. I exited the bathroom beside the main doors.

“Hey!” a voice behind the metal entrance made me jump, “LET ME IN!” he or she pounded on the door.

“Hello? Anybody in there?” Hurry! They’re coming!” another, softer voice sounded.  I peeked through the hole. Humans! I unlocked the bolts and two dark women almost pushed me over shoving their way into the fortress.

“Oh no,” I groaned, shaking my head at the hoard of zombies attempting to climb over our three cinder block walls, toppling over onto each other. I slammed the door and twisted the lock. “Can you tell me how you two got in here?”

“Well,” the older calmer one cleared her throat, “we come here in search of protection, supplies, and rest when a group of infected people started to pursue us. Then we saw your little base and thought we stuck it rich.” Something bothered her….

“Didn’t think there was anything here at first,” the younger one, a teen chimed in.

“Are my sister and I welcome here?” the older one tightened her grip on the smaller child.

“Well, I guess. You just have to check in with my professor, down the hallway.”  I pointed to me right at a black door down the pale hallway.

“Professor? Are you studying science?” The little one took a step towards me, “medicine? A cure?”

“Yes,” I bit my lip, “Of course there is no exact cure yet. Only medications that speed up the infection rate and slow the virus down,” I babbled on.

“Where is this medicine you speak of?” the older girl’s voice crackled a bit.

“In the lab,” I said uneasily, “Well, I have to go there and run some tests. Also meet up with my friend, so I’ll be seeing you later.” I turned and walked away.

“Goodbye,” they both said at the same time. Such strange girls, I thought to myself.

Living among the DeadOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara