Chapter 18: Traitor

“What!” I cannot believe her! She’s going to ruin us!” Lucinda cried out and pulled on her hair, which was down today.

“She could make lies!”

“She already has. I heard that she was telling Giovanni-that guy who was watching you when we first came- that she promised him that she would meet him at 8 to eat dinner, but then I see her at that time sneak into Richards’ room! I know that they have a thing going on, I just know it.”

I laughed, “You sound like the ultimate high school gossiper!”

She smiled, revealing a set of bright teeth. It rather felt awkward, being friendly to one who you are supposed to hate. I glance at my wristwatch. “It’s 8:07! I can meet Gio at the dining hall instead of that sleaze Corny!”

She practically fell off her bed from laughing. Last time she was in a mood like this, she snapped at me when I giggled at the fact of her husband, when he was alive, could not shoot a bitten squirrel. I would certainly slaughter the squirrel after what happened 10 years ago…

I breezed out the door before she could yell, if she even was going to, but something told me Lucinda was rather generous lately than ever before. My legs seemed to pull me to the dining hall, not allowing my brain to control them.

“Hi Gi!” I squeaked embarrassingly when I enter through the doorway and into the small but lively room. He was sitting in the dining room chair furthest from the door, with an empty, crumb-filled plate in front of his folded hands. He snapped his head up, and rose to his feet.

“There’s something I need to tell-oh hiya Jennifer!” his fake smile was scaring me. Was he going to tell Corny that he realized that she was a nasty, greedy person? Or that he didn’t like her anymore?

“What are you doing in here?” I asked, although I knew the answer to that.

“Nothing now,” he picked up his plate, brought it the sink in the back and splashed water on it.

“But you had a reason before, correct?”

He sighed, “Yeah, I did. Cornelia was supposed to meet me here at eight. She is now,” he checked his watch, “nine minutes late.”

“I’m here!” I beamed.

He cracked a smile. “That’s true.”

I walked over to him. “Do you really like Cornelia?”

“I did, but I told her to meet me here, to tell her we can’t be more than friends. Hell, we can’t even be friends!”

“Why is that?” I inched closer.

Gio flushed red. “I kinda like someone else.” He shrugged, trying to play it cool. Due to my talent of observation, I can read people like a book.

“Oh.”

“A-And that Cornelia is a snob that is greedy.” He gulped.

I snapped my head up. “She is! That Corny is planning to get all the credit for creating the cure.”

“Ha! Corny! I love it!” he baffled. “And I can’t believe I’m meeting the person who will save the world.” He stared in my eyes. I jolted forward and walked a few steps. I got what I needed, thank you, I thought to him.

“Uh…I gotta meet up with Meaghan.”

“The short one?”

My eyebrow twitched, because I know how she hates it when people bring up her height. “She’s just below average, that’s all.” I said, protecting her feelings, even though she wasn’t there. “Bye.” I smiled, as he grinned back. “Bye,” he replied as I strolled out the door, and turned into the hall. At the end of it, before turning into the main corridor, I slammed into a body.

What the heck was up with hallways and me?! It was Corny, and I automatically looked down.

“I’m so sorry.” I said, and walked around her. She started walking again, but then her sneakers squeaked on the floor when she stopped a few feet behind me.

“Were you coming from the dining hall?”

I stopped dead in my tracks, and my heart jumped. “Yeah…”

“What were you doing in there?” she inquired.

“Just filling in for you.” I bit my lip.

“Huh? What did you say?”

“I was just filling in for you.” I repeated, nervous.

There was a silence, but it was broken when I heard stomping approaching. I turned around and a hand flashed before my face, stunning me. My hand rubbed my face automatically. I hardly been slapped before, let alone by a cheating someone who I was not familiar with.

“How dare you!” she sputtered.

“You are the one cheating, and yet you slap me.” I crossed my arms. 

A mixture of surprise and horror played across her face. “Ho-How did you…I’M NOT CHEATING!”

“You were ‘visiting’” I did quotation marks, “your little cuddly poo Richard when you were supposed to fool around with Giovanni.”

“Are you stalking me?” she neared my face.

“I just know things, and besides, whatever your sick plan is to break Gio’s heart is ruined. He doesn’t like you. That’s why he scheduled a dinner date that you were late to.” I smirked.

Fury steamed off her. “Yeah. That, and also he said that there was another girl with his heart.” I rolled my eyes.

“Wh-”

“I don’t know who, but it isn’t you.”

She raised a hand, probably to slap me, but put it down, and slammed her feet down as she turned into the dining room.

The quiet, inaudible whispering was awkward.

Then, there was screaming.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WERE AT RICHARD’S?!” Gio’s voice scared me, for I have never heard him scream before.

“Will you be quiet? That skank out there has everything wrong!”

“No! I will not be quiet! I don’t like you anymore! I never did! You cursed me!”

“Giovanni, this is nonsense!” Corny bellowed.

“Your attitude and actions are foolish. Get out of my face!”

She came stomping into the hall. As she almost shoulder checked me, she grumbled, “Thanks a lot” in my ear. I stood there for a few moments, contemplating. I walked to the doorway, and peered in. Gio had his arms crossed. His eyes looked into mine and after a few seconds and stepped away, and leaned against the wall outside.

“Jennifer,” he murmured.

“Yeah?” I carefully entered.

“Jennifer,” he repeated, “After the apocalypse is controlled, do you want to, uh, I don’t know… still be… friends?”

“Sure, depending where you live.”

“I live in Northampton, Pennsylvania. I came here from my university to help find the cure.”

“Wow. I live in Bath.”

He looked up, and jumped towards me, embracing me. “We live so close, and we meet now?”

“Yeah, the world can be so strange.”