Chapter 12: Surprise!

I snatched Lucinda’s ointment off the black, wooden lab table. “Okay,” I uncovered my own microscope and pulled out my medicine. I dropped one or two droplets of Lucy’s ointment and combined it with mine. I peeked into the eyepiece. “Ah,” I beamed. “So her ointment consists of antibodies that alert to blood cells that danger is head on their way, and the cells strengthen themselves. My medication however, kills the virus and weakens the cells. I felt dizzy because the cure still took a lot out of the cells, though.” I explained this to Meg, but a look of indifference made a home on her face. Silly scavengers. “We found a cure!” I announced, just to taste sweet success on my tongue.

“Hurrah!” Meaghan rolled her eyes playfully.

“Now one more thing,” I pricked glass out of my hand, wiped the dry blood off my wrist and packed the meds into huge containers.

“What’s that?” she tilted her head.

“Deploying it.”

“Huh?” her eyes bulged out of their sockets.

“Well, do you think it will grow a pair of legs and a brain and deploy itself? We need to start capturing zombies that aren’t that bad in a shape and give them the medicine. Plus we need to send it to other survivors,” I spoke through unmoving lips.

“There must be an easier way,” she bounced.

“It’s a class four zombie apocalypse; the whole world is basically undead!” I exited with Meaghan on my tail. “We need to check in with Professor, and see if he has any idea.”

“Okeydokey!”

Lucinda was already there seated when we entered his quaint office. The place was small, of course, and the maroon walls and dark floor made it more confining.

“Hello, Jennifer and Meaghan,” the prof mumbled. We murmured greetings back, and I sat in the red, middle seat.

“I’m assuming Lucinda was told you about our incident?” I arched my eyebrow.

“Yes, and the medication,” he puffed, “you girls need to behave. I don’t like fighting, not in these crazy times at least.”

“Yes, I apologize, but an issue has come forth on us,” Meg started, “we don’t know how to deploy it. Capture and release perhaps?”

“No, no. That would not do any good. People who were bit would just fool themselves into another trap. I was thinking of another tactic of delivering this cure,” he leaned back.

“We have no mailmen to do that,” Meaghan’s leg twitched.

“We don’t need mail people, especially when I have a group of three, intelligent women to get the job done.” He grinned.