Chapter 15: All Aboard the ladder of Surprise!

I slid my AK 47 out of its case.

“Aren’t supposed to save the world, not kill it?” Meaghan rolled her eyes.

“This is necessary,” I whispered, “I’m sorry this happened to you,” I said, apologizing to the oblivious people, and began firing. Both of the girls turned around, and sat down, not wanting to watch.

“It’s over,” I slid my weapon into its sleeve with tight jaws.

Carefully, we three slid onto Montreal’s roads. “There it is…” Meg tried to ignore the zombies on the ground, pointing to the medical center. Well, it looked like a red-bricked apartment building, not a hospital.

“How are we going to get in?” Lucinda tiptoed over a body. A few infected people rounded the corner, shuffling after us.  “Oh great,” she ran over to a boarded up window, and put her hands on it. “There’s no way in!”

“Even more shooting will waste ammo and attract more!” I cried out, taking Meaghan’s hand-which was dazed in looking at the new comers- and shuffled quickly over to Lucy.

“Look!” Meg shoved her hand up, towards a fire escape. It was a little too high for her though. 

“I got this,” Lucinda backed up in front of the rusting ladder, and did a running jump, grasping the last bar. She started climbing it, and it lowered a little bit for me to reach now.  

“Gah!” I almost let go of the step when the ladder extended and tapped the ground under our weight. We continued to amble up the metal escape, and stood at the top.

“Wait, aren’t hospitals one of the worst places to go during a zombie apocalypse?” Lucinda crinkled her nose.

“Professor wouldn’t send us out if that the case, Lucy.” She didn’t say anything this time. I twisted the tarnished knob, but it was locked. “Okay then,” I kicked it open, and we listened. Nothing, so I ran inside with Meg and Lucinda at my tail.

“Well, this is most certainly awkward,” Meaghan whispered under her breath, and I looked up. There was a group of people in a dark room only lit up by monitors, pointing guns at us.