Chapter 17: Greed

“So…” I sat on top of a lab table next to Cornelia, the leader woman, “what are we going to do with the cure now that we have it? Every survivor yearned for it, and now we have it, what now?”

“We have to duplicate it, but consider the task finished.” She grinned at me, and squeezed some of the cloned medicine into a vile.

“Corny, you’re the best!” My grin reached my ears, I felt it.

She sighed, obviously having strong demises of the nickname. “Thanks.”

“Well, we created a cure. We duplicated it. Messengers are on their way now to spread the word. I don’t know what to do with my life now.”

“Live normally, as soon as Earth gets on its feet again. Go away, and live life peacefully, full with self-satisfaction.” She shrugged, and filled more bottles with Lucy’s and my ointment.

“But…I created the cure! I have saved the world! Don’t I get credit for that at least? That would be better. I would like to know what happens afterward.”

“Honey, look; it’s the people who spread the word that get acknowledged, not the one who started it.”

I fused my eyebrows together. How rude! How appalling! How…greedy! “Unbelievable…” I muttered, and stepped back, nearing the doorway.

“Believe it, girl. It’s the 21st century. Believe it.” Cornelia nodded, tapping her foot to the beat of medicine sloshing against the flasks.

“Don’t call me honey, or girl.” I barked at her and walked out. How dare her! Take all the credit. I do not want to be famous, but I can’t just let her lie and get all the credit! Not after the fact I have slaved over the cure for 9 years for my friends whom I saw were brutally slaughtered with my own two eyes!

I so have to tell Lucinda about this.