Chapter 3

Author's note: THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK ON LAST CHAPTER I LOVE YOU ALL and later on you'll see the name Defensores Antris, that's the name of Cyan's gang so yeah enjoy

Leo's POV

I stood at the end of a hallway all too familiar to me, those same pictures lined up against the daisy white wall, white, wooden doors hiding sick, dying patients, the sickening smell of disinfectant, hand soap and medicine lingering in the air, masking the smell of death and sickness. The walls were a plain, cloud grey if you took away advertisments for healthcare and colourful flower paintings that were offkey with the tone of a hospital. Rows upon rows upon rows of rooms and rows of doors organized neatly against the wall, each room's number indicated with large, distuiguishable block letters.

But something was different.

The atmosphere. It was quiet. Deathly quiet.

Hospitals usually were filled with soft whispers, the tapping of stilled footsteps echoing on the floor. Hospitals were filled with tears, with quiet sobs of the broken, voluminous shaking sobs massive enough to wreck the soul, silent tears, the murmuring last words of the deceased. But all that filled the hallway was a somber silence. Signs of abandonment littered the hallway. Dust lined the walls, cobwebs filled the corners, sending chills up my spine when I saw spiders crawling on them. Lights flickered on the ceiling, giving the darkened hallway a frightening vibe. Shards of broken glass collected dust on the floor, a shattered window and flickering lights providing light. I looked downwards, checking my bandoleer, but it was empty. My right shoulder felt empty and strange without the weight of my signature slug, Orbis. Suddenly, a voice rang through the abandoned hospital, causjng me to jump in fright, my heart racing at the sudden noise. 

"Leonardo Shane, the hero of pure heart, saviour to all of Slugterra. But you came here to save yourself, didn't you, mysterious Outlander? You save many lives each day, Leo. For your final challenge, you only have to save one." The Game Master's voice boomed in hidden speakers, his menacing voice ringing in the air, before the scene melted before my eyes. The shattered shards of glass dissolved, dripping onto the floor, dyeing the floor a light beige, the lights flickering on, before it stayed on, working with no trouble, dust creeping up the walls and melting into them, changing the walls into a dull macaroon green, the shattered window turning more opaque by the second-

And with a blink, the entire scene changed.

Sunlight blasted through a window, sending a warming heat against my back. A sturdy, wooden pearl white door stood exactly where the window was before. The walls were a solid light, calming green, their colour sending a pleasant vibe throughout the room. The lights had disappeared without a trace, the room lit by the natural sunlight. The faint sound of a heart monitor beeped behind me, snapping me back into reality.

And I froze as I heard her voice.

"Leo, my sweet boy." A voice croaked sickly, but the voice caught my breath, it made time slow. No matter how long it's been since her death, I'll never forget her comforting, soothing voice, her welcoming, soft touch, her timeless beauty. How her hazel brown hair fell past her shoulders, her loving, pale blue eyes that shone I turned around, facing the hospital bed, and time stopped.

It's been seven years since I saw her.

She leaned on the back of the bed, an IV tube in her slightly trembling hand, but those same eyes stared back at me, that same shine.

"Mom." I finally exhaled, my voice breaking with joy, the corners of my mouth turning upwards in a smile of disbelief, shock. My eyes filling with tears as I ran to her bedside. Her arms extended out in a welcoming embrace, and I threw myself at her, sobbing on her shoulder as she stroked my back lovingly, comforting me as I wrapped my arms around her, delving into the safety of my mother's arms. We parted after a while before she started coughing, covering her mouth with her hands. Her hand parted from her lips, and my heart halted as she whispered,