Chapter 40

Author's Note: sorry for the late chapter! there was a major plot hole i couldn't just fill up quickly and i wrote what i pushed back to chapter 41 first thinking it would be good for chapter 40, but it really wasn't and i care for this story so yeah boi, SORRY IF THIS WASN'T EXECUTED IN THE BEST WAY lets get into this

"A full-scale attack?! Didn't he just lose a lot of guards to the invasion?! How the fuck is he even pull that off?!" Shang exclaimed as he rode into the forest, led by Tiffy and Anthony, Trixie riding beside him. They had split up their large group into three smaller groups of four and two groups of five, so if a group of slingers were to get found by Ataro's guards and ambushed, there was still a high likelihood of at least some of the slingers making it to Bonnie Springs Cavern. They all took different routes to Bonnie Springs Cavern, of course, so the plan wouldn't fail. Shang, Trixie, Tiffy and Anthony were in one group, riding to Bonnie Springs Cavern as fast as the Shadow Realm could take them, Leo leading a group through the Shadow Realm as well.

"Only a percentage of his men were at the main base when you guys attacked. Last I heard, it was fifty per cent, but it could have been lesser because they thought I would betray them." Twist's voice spoke out clearly through the earpieces in the Defender's ears. A scoff followed Twist's statement closely.

"If that was fifty per cent, I have three fucking arms, Twist! That could not have been fifty per cent!" Maie protested, and the rest knew she had to be right. Ataro seemed to have an infinite amount of guards, and the question of how many guards he had was a question that didn't seem relevant but was present in the minds of every slinger there. How many guards did he have control of? They weren't even sure if they had that many people in the 99 Caverns. And when that question popped up in their minds, others all snowballed to fill the pile of questions, slowly overwhelming them all. How did he even have so many guards in the first place? What was he planning next? What were his immediate next moves? What did he have to gain from spreading fear and from gaining power? The answer slipped in between their fingers every time, seeming inches away from their fingertips. And it felt frustrating, but something told them they didn't want to know what lay ahead.

The terrors of the present were terrifying enough.

"We need a plan!" Cyan stated, and Shang looked over at Anthony, not surprised to see the gears in his head already spinning as he formulated a foolproof plan in seconds. He muttered to himself quietly under his breath, before he looked forward, commanding the rest,

"She's right, we have no time to tackle each and every problem we have. DA and Blue, evac citizens. Southerners, Questria, and Twist evac hospital patients, then help the DA and Blue. Shane Gang and Maie, take down the guards and try to save who you can. Zuli, Raster, Shang and I will take on Ataro and the masked girls!" Tiffy took a quick left, and the rest followed, charging straight for the entrance. They saw other guards sneaking in, seeming like statues in the Shadow Realm. They charged in before Anthony grabbed the three of them, taking them out of the Shadow Realm and shooting a Speedstinger at the door, the door slowly closing shut as Trixie shot her Geoshard at the door, forming a wall to keep them out. They saw the others ride in, Leo, Blue, Maie and Lancaster materializing out of the shadows in the distance.

"GO GO GO!" Anthony yelled, and the rest followed what he had said earlier, the Shane Gang taking down guards, Defensores Antris forming at the hospital. Shang couldn't help but notice Anthony's shoulders fall for a second as his gaze lingered on the Defensores Antris in the hospital, the three of them convening before Blue came, and they rushed into the hospital.

"Anthony." Shang called, and Anthony tore his gaze away from the hospital, his focus recalibrating on the task ahead. He could see it in Anthony's sapphire blue eyes, the pain he felt inside him.