3

Mae →

Kari, Mae, and I stared at the sign-up sheet for the play auditions. Trust me, I wasn't standing here at my own will. My friends had kidnapped me from my locker and dragged me here, and to think Kari had my back. Surprisingly she was convinced that I should audition, but knowing her, she was probably doing it for her own amusement.

"Okay. So the play is set in a dystopian past. I'm thinking during the Renaissance period in Europe or something like that," Mae explained. "Of course, it's a play so it has to have some art and historic relations. Sounds fun?"

"Let me guess, it's forbidden love, punishable by death, blah blah blah?" Kari inquired, folding her arms in disinterest. "Is there a death scene? I'll show up for that part if by some divine miracle Jaden lands the role."

"Gee, thanks. Good to know you always have my back, Kari," I sarcastically appreciated as she smiled at me mischievously. "So what's this play called anyway? Not Another Forbidden Love Story?"

Mae rolled her eyes. "No, dingus. It's called Where the Heart Is. Yes, it's cliche, but it's also the school's first gay play. Evil king, slightly wicked prince whose heart is softened by the love he feels for a lowly servant boy. And more drama."

"Ah, so even worse than what I was expecting," Kari understood.

Mae grinned and shoved a pen in my hand. "You got this, J. Even if you don't get the role, you'll still get to meet your crush. You get to look him in the eyes. Sign up and pick up a play scene from the drama club office."

I sighed, clenching my jaw as I tried to build up the courage to put my name down. Maybe I could just sign up and not show. Before I could even make that decision, I was suddenly pushed aside as someone took my spot in front of the sign-up sheet. I looked to see my offender and it was none other than Corbyn Starr.

Holy shit; I don't think I'd ever come into contact with him. He's Kris's boyfriend.

Oh my lord, he's Kris's boyfriend.

"Sorry, whatever your name is. Get lost," he said to me almost snobbily. He wouldn't even look at me as he spoke, as if I were invisible. He whipped out a blue gel pen and looked at the sign-up sheet. "Wow. Three other people actually think they have what it takes to make it past audition." Taking out a blue gel pen, he carefully signed his name over eight lines, leaving four spaces open. Smiling at his 'artwork,' he replaced his pen then paused. My friends and I just watched him as he pursed his lips in thought. "Wait a minute..." he gazed at me. "Were you seriously considering signing up for the part of Jaxxon, the love interest?"

I couldn't speak, I opened my mouth but after coming up blank, I decided to close it before I risked swallowing a fly. Yeah, Corbyn was scary, but he was the closest to Kris Hamilton that I may ever get.

I was hopeless.

Corbyn blinked at me, expecting my response before grimacing. "God, what a weirdo. I almost forgot how pathetic people beneath me really are. You just reminded me."

"Jaden's not pathetic," Mae defended. "And yes, he's totally signing up."

He turned around to face her, assessing her features and outward appearance. "Usually anyone who wears a cheer uniform is important... so who are you supposed to be?"

"Mae," she shot. "You should remember that name. I'm a very talented cheerleader."

"Oh?" Corbyn raised one of his perfectly sculpted dark brown eyebrows. "So you're planning to steal Brooklyn's spot as cheer captain?"

Mae's blue, doe eyes widened. "Wait! I-I never said that!"

He squinted. "Really? Because that's pretty much what I heard, and she's my best friend. I'd better tell her some girl named Mae wants to steal her spot."