36

I backed away from the door as Nico shoved his way through, his eyes full of concern. "You alright?"

I swallowed, hugging myself. "Peachy."

"What is it about that guy that scares you off? I remember when you first came here, you fled the moment I told you his name."

"He doesn't scare me off, if that's what you're worried about. Actually, he's right. I might need a drink or two. You gonna invite him in or what?" I hiked up an eyebrow expectedly.

Nico stared at me warily and opened the door with uncertainty. "Alright, come on in, Jett."

I couldn't tell if Nico could see through my lie, but I was an excellent actor. Although I was on edge as I watched Jett make his way through the door, I made sure my face portrayed no such emotions.

He set the six pack on the counter. "Actually, I'm sure the two of you would much rather be alone." I saw him wink at Nico. "So I'll just leave these here and let you boys have some fun."

He was gone in a second, but something flipped inside of me. "Stay here," I said, heading out the door to catch up with Jett. He was tall, so he walked with fast strides.

Thankfully, I managed to get near enough so he could hear me. "Don't you know who I am?" I demanded.

He turned around, looked me over, then hiked up his thick eyebrows. "Corbyn," the quietest laugh left his lips, as if he found humor in this situation. "I knew about you before you were even born. How could I not? Your father was always an important, prestigious man. Your mother's pregnancy was on magazines and newstands."

I folded my arms and swallowed. "Except you knew my mother better than any magazine cover she was on, didn't you? You only just left prison two years ago--"

He marched up to my face and stared me down while I sucked in a breath. "Your father ruined my life," he growled.

I lifted my chin. "At least you had a life," I spat. "I'm the son of a rapist; how do you think it's been on my end of things? I never stood a chance of being loved."

"Rapist," he repeated with a bitter laugh.

"She can't bear to look at me. It's like I traumatize her over and over again."

His eyes grew cold and pitiless. "Well, she's a big girl. I'm sure she'll grow out of it."

I felt a delirious rage bubble inside of me and I gave his chest a hard shove, making his back hit a nearby tree. "Why did you do it?! You monster!"

"I didn't rape your mother!" he yelled, his chest heaving like mine.

"Bullshit! The way she is... how she acts and carries herself... she's scared of something and someone, and I know it's you!" I accused, wagging my finger at him.

"You know what I think of your parents?" He spat on the ground in contempt. "I won't sympathize with her."

"Do you sympathize with me? The man I have to call dad doesn't care for me. And like I said, my mom can't even look at me without seeing you. So I have to live the rest of my life like this?"

"What do you even want from me?" he asked gruffly as I let out a breath.

I turned away, thinking about his question more than I ought to. He had to know that I was his child all these years. He had to care even a little bit. But he was right to ask that; what did I want from him?

"Look." His voice was calm now, but I refused to make eye contact. "If circumstances were different..."

It didn't seem like he'd finish that statement, not that it mattered. "I should head back," I abruptly said, whipping around and making my way to Nico's small trailer.