15

Nico →

"Someone's trying extra hard to impress a crush!" Kari teased our friend Thursday morning.

Mae gave herself away when she blushed, but she rolled her eyes. "What could possibly give you that conclusion?" She tossed her meticulously curled hair over her shoulder. She was wearing a beautiful fall dress, paired with some feathery earrings that matched her blue eyes. She had no necklace, but I was sure it was intentional because her skin was flawlessly clear. Also, it pretty much gave her chest all the attention.

"Did Corbyn get you that dress? Looks expensive."

"No, he didn't. I've always had it, just never wore it."

"So how's life in the inner circle?" I questioned.

"Boring. Gosh, remember when we were freshman? We always wondered how amazing it'd feel to be a part of Corbyn Starr's posse."

"Speak for yourself, sweetcheeks," Kari disagreed. "Look, they might be popular but they're all just shallow individuals at the end of day who bask in material things."

"I think Corbyn has a secret," Mae informed. "I was over his house yesterday, which, b-t-dub, is super huge! Anyway, his mom was talking to him about some guy. I couldn't hear, but whoever this guy is made him really unsettled. Maybe even scared."

"An ex?" I suggested.

"An abusive ex," Kari added, holding up a finger. "Or just someone who abused him in some way."

"Look, you can't tell anyone else. I don't know exactly what he's hiding but... Something tells me Corbyn isn't as awful as he comes across."

"I'm gonna puke," was Kari's response. "Moving on, please. I wanna know who you're trying to impress."

Mae giggled. "Geez, can't a girl dress up for herself every once in a while?"

"Who is it?" Kari deadpanned. I nudged her and laughed.

"Mae! There you are, darling!" Corbyn came out of the blue, and as usual, he had someone following him like a puppy. Except puppies were actually cute. He shoved a stack of envelopes into her arms. "I'm gonna need you to pass those out, sweetie. To important people, please."

"Um, what are these?" she thumbed through them and furrowed her eyebrows at him.

"My party invitations." He looked at the girl behind him. "Hey, Camille. Would you mind taking half?" He grabbed some of the stack and gave it to the girl, sending her off.

"So you want me to do your job for you?"

"Yes. Not just you, my entire clique's handing out invites."

Kari and I stole uncomfortable glances at each other.

"Oh, don't look so floored, Mae Struss. Anything you do for me puts you one step closer to getting a better spot on that cheer team. I'll make sure you get there before the big competition. Play your cards right and you just might one of the most important people in this school, not just the team." He assessed her outfit and smiled. It was probably a fake smile, knowing him thus far. "You look quite decent. I do remember you saying you'll impress Tiana today."

Kari suppressed a laugh and Mae rolled her eyes.

Corbyn took two of the envelopes. "On your way, babe. And for goodness sake, I don't need to remind you that no losers are allowed to my party. You can invite some of the band geeks, nerds and whatnot. I wanna look inclusive. Absolutely no stoners though."

Mae frowned and walked away, glancing back at us ruefully. Corbyn, who had completely ignored our presence, turned to me and Kari, holding out the two envelopes in front of us.