6

Kari →

"I have to look like an audition-ready bombshell. My confidence in this is lacking, so my clothes should at least make me appear like I've got a chance." I stood in my closet and spread my clothes apart, scanning them with my eyes. "I need to go big or go home."

On my bed behind me sat Kari, Mae, and my 13-year-old sister Emery. Oddly enough, my sister had a strong fashion sense. She picked out all of my recital outfits and she was a bit opinionated much to my annoyance.

"Well if you wanna be glamorous, you're not gonna find anything in that closet. It's drab," she offered. I closed my eyes for a moment to keep from rolling them to the heavens.

"Thank you for your cherished, requested input, my beloved Emery." I turned back around to face them.

"She's not wrong," Kari agreed. Mae, always the optimist, stepped in to defend me.

"Oh, come on guys. If we can't find anything, then we can go shopping. But I'm sure you can work some magic, Emery."

My sister held up a finger and slowly stood up. "I got it. You could wear a denim sleeveless hoodie-"

"Really? You want me to pull off denim?"

"Believe it or not, Jaden, you're very handsome," Emery complimented. "Which is gross coming out of my mouth, but I speak no lies. Like I was saying, it's basically like a denim vest, but it's got a black hood attached. Then you could wear a light gray t-shirt that stops at your fingertips, dark pants, black boots, and top it off with a simple, sophisticated black hat." She squealed and clapped. "I love me! Ooh, I can see it now. You'll do great."

"The guru has spoken," Kari said. "She and I will go shopping for you while you and Mae practice your lines for tomorrow."

I sighed and nodded, rubbing my hands nervously against my thighs. "You guys are amazing for helping me. It means a lot and I owe you all big time."

"Dad said he'd give me ten dollars if I helped you out because he knows you're a hopeless cause with this audition. I'm doing it for the money." Emery shrugged and walked out of my room, Kari following after and throwing up the peace sign.

"Un-be-lievable," I muttered. I picked up the scene sheet and Mae grabbed a copy herself.

"So, this scene is the one you'll act out with Kris. Remember, you didn't get a chance to sign up but if we can sneak you in before the last audition, you can beg the casting director to give you a shot. It's high school, they can't say no or else you can just lie that you have crippling depression and being rejected sends you over the edge."

"That..." I blinked and nodded slowly. "O-okay. Noted." I cleared my throat as she stood up, facing me.

"This is gonna be so fun!" She jumped a bit then calmed herself down. "Okay. Your line's first. I'll play Kris's part as Prince Luca of Sanslovakia."

"Wait, I haven't read the story."

"J!" Mae lightly smacked my arm. "It's published on our school's website. You really need to get a feel for your character."

"I know, I'm sorry. I guess I'm more interested in the Kris aspect of it all than the role itself."

"Yeah, well, you're not getting either if you don't read it. You have one night before audition, so you might have to pull an all-nighter. Omg, maybe Kari and I can sleep over and stay up with you!"

I chewed the inside of my cheek, considering it for a second, but I shook my head in disagreement. "No, sleep-deprived Kari sounds very frightening and it's not Halloween yet."