37

Because of You - Kelly Clarkson

Just a little warning guys. This chapter is as intense as it'll ever get. Just roll with it. Love you!

🎻

I'd never been inside the prestigious Hamilton hotel, owned by Kris's father. Joined by my friends and Kari's date Sage, I walked inside and was instantly in awe. It was like stepping into a mixture of different cities; I saw London and Paris, maybe even Rome. It was all just a unique combination of wealth and prosperity, to be honest.

"The interior design in this place just called me poor," Sage whined.

"I think I heard it too," I agreed.

"Guys, come on! We have to get to the ballroom!" Mae squealed. She was so excited that Homecoming was at a hotel this year, which was all thanks to Corbyn refusing to settle for anything less. Probably his most redeemable quality; I wish I had such tenacity. Unfortunately, she never found the courage to ask Tiana to the dance, but I silently hoped that Tiana was here without a date. Despite that, when Mae knew I was attending, she rushed to my house for some last minute shopping with my sister Emery.

And boy, did I underestimate her abilities. Paired with Emery's fashion sense, Mae had me dazzling in all white and an off-white faux fur shawl. She'd slicked my hair back, meticulously and carefully weaving fake frost into it. Last but not least, my face was adorned with a winged, sparkling white mask. I looked like a Snow King.

"Is Kris meeting you inside?" Kari asked me as we approached the ballroom. It definitely wasn't hard to miss, with the bursting sound of life and music filling the halls that led to it.

"Yeah, he said he'd be at the bottom of the staircase."

"Ooh, now this will be an entrance!" Mae giggled. Her costuming screamed that she was a pixie, and with her big eyes and even bigger personality, nothing could fit her more. Her starry highlight was exaggerated, and rainbow glitter rested over her neck and chest. She told me that she added that as an appreciation of her sexuality.

While stepping into the hotel was like entering another city, the ballroom welcomed us to another time period. It was like medieval meets modern, with touches of gold and a host of expensive candle chandeliers.

"Is this all gonna be your boyfriend's one day? Because if so, I want a free room here for life," Kari esteemed. I chuckled, as we descended the stairs. I looked forward and caught sight of him immediately.

Kris was befittingly dressed like a prince, just without a crown. He waited patiently at the end of the stairs as promised, and as soon as our gaze met he grinned as if his world was fulfilled.

I practically flew down the rest of the way, into his arms.

"Oh, you're so beautiful!" He said into my ear so I could hear him over the music. We pulled away so we could admire each other. "It doesn't look like you came up with such a stunning costume in only less than a day."

"It's all thanks to Mae and Emery," I credited before laughing. "You look effortlessly charming, no surprise there."

We linked arms and moved toward the dance floor. "I'm glad I came. I feel like tonight will be worth it."

"It will be," he agreed, kissing my cheek. "Dance with me?"

I beamed, my eyes bright and happy. "I'd like nothing more."

~Corbyn~

I stared and stared at my midnight black fur cloak that swept the floor, grasping it tighter by the second.