33

Jaime Murray ↑
Perfect violin cover

Dedicated to FrostBiteNachos

~Jaden~

"So this is your humble home," I observed as I stepped through the threshold of Kris's house. He led me inside by the hand, and in my other arm I was clutching my violin in its case.

"Is it smaller than you expected?" He wondered with a teasing smile. I just chuckled, looking around the interior as he shut the door.

"It's so cozy. And I see lots of baby pictures." I poked his side, making him laugh.

"Yeah, you have my mom to thank for that."

"Where are your parents, by the way?"

"Working. It's usually just me and my little sister at home on weeknights so Penny might be in her room." I followed him to his room, which smelled amazing by the way. He clicked on the lights before letting go of my hand.

"Ooh, you're an avid reader?" I asked, approaching his bookshelf that was nearly spilling over with books.

"Guilty pleasure," he admitted. He picked up his guitar from its stand and sat down on his large bed with it.

"You don't wanna go over the script right now?"

"We can later. Besides, we pretty much have it down."

I set down my violin and joined him on his bed, kicking off my shoes. I couldn't help but recall our onstage kiss earlier today, and all I could think of was how alive I felt in the moment. I wasn't trying to be cheesy, but Kris genuinely made these past few difficult days brighter for me.

"I wish you were acting with me on opening night," he said, shaking his head sadly. I pouted and nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, me too."

"I dunno, I just... I wanna have the time of my life when I'm on that stage with you. But I wasn't too surprised when you-know-who stole that away."

"Let him have it. The spotlight; it's what he wants. It's only for one night."

"The recital is important to you, isn't it? You wouldn't miss it for the play?" Kris raised one eyebrow. He was looking for confirmation, as if he was trying to make a decision about something.

"I'm not missing my recital," I reassured. "Music means much more to me than the play; it's my future."

"Yeah, I completely understand. That's why I won't be at opening night either."

My eyes widened. "Kris, you have to! You're like the star of the play."

"You know I care about you, Jaden. I wanna be at your recital, supporting you." This was it. This was the exact point where I fell for him more than I ever had. It started to sink in that the boy I'd crushed on for so long felt the same way about me, and that this wasn't a daydream.

"I care about you too," I truthfully returned, accepting the kiss he planted on my cheek. I smiled so brightly, but the inevitable happened, and my mind shifted to my mother. Specifically, the fact that she wouldn't be at my recital like she promised.

My smile disappeared as quickly as it came.

"Gonna play with me?" I quickly diverted his attention, trying to get my mind off of my unfortunate circumstance. I unzipped my instrument case and grabbed hold of my violin and bow.

"What song?"

"I like to play Perfect for my sisters to help them sleep." I chuckled. "But I think it's very... fitting for right now."