18

**Violin cover of Viva la Vida by David Garrett**

(the song Corbyn sings is in the previous chapter)

Picture of Ivy Starr ⇒

______

"Can I have everybody's attention?" Brooklyn's musical voice echoed into the microphone in the cafeteria. She and her posse of cheerleaders stood between me and Corbyn, their hands on their hips.

As all the students turned toward us, I peered over at my friends for some courage. Kari gave me a thumbs up.

I knew now what she meant by bringing 'back-up,' which were a couple students from band and orchestra and an amp to boost our sound.

"Just an announcement before we get to the real entertainment of the day. The Homecoming pep rally is next week and I hope to see all of your beautiful faces at the game on October 14. Mark your calendars, sharks, because we will be bringing home the victory. The Homecoming dance is going to be held at the Hamilton Hotel and since it falls in October, it's been decided that the theme is Masquerade and Halloween." She smiled at Corbyn, but he just looked at me with a confused expression.

Ah, he must be wondering about the violin in my hand, and my precious back-ups.

"And now, as announced on my social media, a showdown between my very talented best friend, Corbyn Starr, and... him over here." She pointed to me without looking at me and I glanced at the band members beside me.

"It's okay. We're gonna sound great," the girl whispered. The other was a boy, and he nodded in agreement. I tuned out everything Brooklyn was saying until she announced Corbyn to go first and handed the mic over to him.

"Whoo! Corbyn!" People from all over the cafeteria cheered. Seemed he had a lot more friends than I gave him credit for. Or maybe those were his 'allies' he talked about. There's no way he could have so many fans with how awfully he treated people here. It was fear; it had to be.

The cheerleaders got into perfect formation around him ready to dance, and I was a bit discouraged that he had back-up too. Of course he did; how could I expect anything less from the King Bee?

A lot of students were already clapping and standing in anticipation as soon as the music started.

Corbyn was taunting me with that voice of is, which I was so unfortunate to admit was amazing. He must've been a tenor, if I wasn't mistaken.

"Don't tell me not to live, just sit and putter

Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter..."

"Oh he's good," the girl next to me confessed.

"I'm in love," the boy whispered before clearing his throat. "God I hate that guy. I want talent."

"You are talented. Both of you," I told them. I kept my focus on Corbyn as he and his cheerleaders danced, and it was impressive that he wasn't out of breath. Then again, he'd been performing since childhood, and in front of much of much bigger crowds. I heard he sang at his father's galas and at jubilees.

I noticed Corbyn give me a side-eye as he sang, "Who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade?"

I turned my attention away from him, trying to find Kris in the sea of students. We hadn't been friends for more than week, if I could even call us that, and I managed to piss him off. Today was not supposed to happen like this.

I was saddened when I couldn't find his face so once again, I looked to my friends for the courage I needed to stand here and play.

"Nobody, no, nobody is gonna... rain on my parade!"