32

Song: Boy Afraid by Saro

Sensitive song for a sensitive chapter. Please please listen to it. You might relate :D

~Corbyn~

I was still rattled from the circumstances of this morning, even as I sat impatiently in the front row seat of the theater room.

I met him. For the first time in all my 16 years, I met Jett Michaels.

I closed my eyes, blowing out an sigh and rubbing my eyes.

"I almost don't wanna be understudy," Nico whispered from beside me. "They're so good together."

I glared at him and he raised his eyebrow, almost laughing at my frustration. "What? I mean, we're even better," he quickly added.

"There is no we, Nico." I faced my front, staring at the actors on stage. It was a scene with Kris, Jaden, and Gisela who played the princess betrothed to Kris's character.

"Our make out session yesterday proves otherwise," he reminded me with a smirk. "What's got you in a sour mood today?"

I put a finger over my lips, signaling him to be quiet so I could pay attention to the scene in front of us. We were basically running through the same act as yesterday's, but this rehearsal would include the kissing scene.

It stung.

When I thought the play's role of love interest was mine, I'd dreamed of my onstage kiss with my boyfriend. Now he was my ex, and he'd moved on from me in no time at all. The rest of the school probably didn't know it yet, but the moment he and Jaden announce their relationship--which I knew was bound to happen--it would rip me apart. I wondered if he still cared.

Probably not.

Gisela faded from the stage, leaving Jaden and Kris to complete the scene. My heart pumped a little bit faster, circulating envy through my body with every beat.

Being aware of each other's true feelings made them act exceptionally well together because for the most part, they weren't acting. I could see it clearly.

"You feel the same," Jaden frantically insisted. "Despite your duties and beyond your royal responsibilities, I remain in your heart as you are in mine."

I glanced over to see a proud smile on our director's face as he nodded, gesturing for them to continue. Tiana, who sat next to Mr. Price with a clipboard on her lap, looked at me in that very moment. She seemed overjoyed that I was about to be hurt by this.

Jaden moved closer to Kris, cupping his cheek with one hand. "Or am I lying to myself?" They gazed into each other's eyes for a moment as directed, before drawing closer and closer.

I felt myself tense up the second their lips met in a passionate dance, and Kris's arms went right around Jaden. I felt the sting, and for some reason, I found it difficult to pull my eyes away. They just... kissed, forever it seemed.

"They did absolutely perfect," Tiana whispered to Mr. Price. "I don't think anything should change."

"I agree," he considered. Then he called out, "Alright, guys. The kiss should last between four to seven seconds. It's the first one, so it has to be tentative..." His voice trailed off when they completely ignored him, keeping their lips locked.

I heaved an uncomfortable sigh, then felt Nico's hand go over mine. I glanced at him, feeling my cheeks flush.

"Guys!" Mr. Price called as they separated with sheepish expressions. "You can... save the extra stuff for later; did you hear what I said?"