34

Dedicated to: 43PrettyOdd21
~Jaden~

"Knock-knock."

My dad lightly tapped against the wide opened door of my room to attract my attention. I'd been sitting on my bed trying to perfect my number for the recital coming up in a few weeks. I put down my violin and bow, smiling at him.

"You alright?" he queried.

"Yeah, of course. Is something wrong?"

"Not at all, no. Honestly, I was starting to get worried because I noticed your friends hadn't been coming over so often anymore. But... they're downstairs, asking if you're willing to talk."

"Oh..." I started to get up but he held up a hand, making me pause.

"You don't have to get up; I'll let them know if you're not in the mood."

I relaxed, shrugging one shoulder. "N-no, I am."

"What happened, love? Did you guys argue?" He crossed his arms, looking at me with pure concern.

"Somewhat."

"Do you wanna betray your inner teenager and tell me what happened truthfully or..?"

I chuckled at that. "Later, maybe."

He nodded. "Okay. I will be here, always." He came forward to lay a comforting kiss atop my head then pinched my cheek. "I love you, my little angel. Alright, I'll let them come up."

"Thanks, dad. I love you, too."

"Oh, by the way, I think I'm finally getting a hang of the whole cooking thing. We'll be having a home-cooked meal tonight so prepare your taste buds for battle."

"I'm very scared," I assured, my eyes widening.

"We should all be. It might get ugly. Your friends are more than free to join us." He headed out of my room and I sighed, moving my violin aside.

I'd been avoiding my friends a bit just because of how awkward it would have been. And now that I knew my own teacher spilled the details of my secret, I didn't know how to face my friends. I was simply grateful that at the end of the day, they had my back. Corbyn made me question that, and he knew exactly what he was doing. I felt queasy thinking about him though, and all those bruises over his body. I didn't even know if telling an adult would help him or make it all worse. I'd done enough to be honest. After our conversation in the restroom, I felt like we had this unspoken understanding that we would finally leave each other alone.

"Would you like some company?" Mae asked, walking inside followed by Kari.

"Hey guys." I sat criss cross as they joined me on the bed.

"No worries. We're on good terms now," Kari said, referring to her argument with Mae after my secret got out. "We're only trying to set things right with you, ya know."

I nodded slowly, heaving a sigh. "Sorry. It's been a difficult week. I found out who told Corbyn my secret."

"Yeah, he let us know who it was."

That explained why they came over. "I just don't get why she'd leave so suddenly," Kari shook her head in disappointment.

I wondered how Ms. C would take care of her ailing son now that she was unemployed. It was confidential though, so I didn't say anything about it. She didn't have to quit; I wish I could've told her that. Regardless of the mistake she made, it didn't need to affect her job security. I just hoped she'd find one soon.