25

~Kris~

Corbyn pulled me through the front door of his family household, down the long hallway and into one of the lounges. "Mom's not rummaging through the kitchen as usual, so she might still be at work."

"Why'd you want me to come?" I inquired. "And what was that about you not being safe at school?"

He ignored my questions, taking me up two flights of stairs to his large room instead. "I'm sure nobody can hear us, is that what you're worried about?"

He faced me and put his arms around my neck to draw me close. "My dad isn't very fond of me," he shared. I nodded, pleased that he trusted me enough to tell me this.

"Does he... hurt you in any way?"

"Oh no, no he doesn't. Please, like I'd ever let him close to my precious face." Corbyn smiled, kissing my cheek. "We just don't get along. I'm a difficult person, as everyone knows."

"And why do you think that is?" I lifted one of my eyebrows and he shrugged.

"It's just me."

"But you weren't always like that. Or did you completely fake your personality when I met you last year?"

He blinked at me, slowly nodding. "I see. I get it; you fell for the boy I used to be and you can't stand who I am now."

"No, I just want to know what changed. If something awful happened, I wanna help fix it. You were this bubbly person who made me laugh, who made me feel comfortable in a school filled with teens who obsessed over me, 'the new kid.' Or... at least tell me, if you're a boy of many faces, which one is real?"

Corbyn stared into my eyes for the longest time that I started to feel intimidated and uncomfortable. "No comment?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I'm wary of this conversation."

"Then give me an answer and we'll drop it."

"I don't have one, Kris, for goodness' sake." He stepped closer. "Can't we just do something else? I mean, when's the last time we... you know, had some fun?"

I removed his arms from my neck and moved back. "We're not having sex," I deadpanned with a frown.

"What, I told you what you wanted to know! My dad and I aren't on the best terms, isn't that all you needed to hear? And it's not my fault you thought I was a bubbly little kid. People change. You don't like me anymore, just admit it."

"Fine. If we're going to be honest, I miss who you used to be. Because this... personality or attitude--whatever you wanna call it, I'm not interested in it."

Corbyn walked over to his window bed and sat down on it. He kicked off his shoes and propped his feet up. "Do it then. Break up with me."

His calmness was unsettling, but I didn't let it get to me. "We both know this won't work," I quietly said. "I do care for you, but it's over."

I started to leave his room, but right before I was out the door I turned back to look at him. He was staring out the window, his fingers absently playing with the fabric of the little bed.

"Will you be okay, Corbyn? With your dad?"

He gazed at me, his eyebrows pulling together in confusion. "Why are you still here?"

I let out a breath, grabbing the door handle and closing the door behind me. And strangely enough, I felt a massive weight lift from my shoulders.

🎻🎻🎻

~Jaden~

I didn't have the strength to rise from my bed that Friday morning. I didn't want to go to school. I couldn't take anyone's bullshit at the moment.