Spirit Guides lower tier

Spirit Guides are in sense spirits whom guides the dead. That is the obvious part. But they have other duties. These other duties is what divides them.

The lowest: Newcomer/Apprentice/Punished Guides

Why is the Punished Guides in this tier? Many of them are in probationary state. Thus in this tier is reflected in the lowest state. They are not trusted in most work except help guiding spirits to go somewhere.

The Newcomer and Apprentice states are so similar. The Newcomer is newly trained Guides. They were once Apprentices. Usually they are left in charge of a small region with at least a couple dozen others. And that is not including the upper tiers and the experienced.

Apprentice and Newcomer are still relatively fresh guides. But Apprentices can learn from any guide that is not an Apprentice or Punished. This means a Newcomer can train an Apprentice. This rule is allowed because of the Spanish Inquisition. The many dead at that time causes a surge in dead ranks. The doubling of Apprentice guides is the result.

Mikasana the Spirit Guide(from the story Death) is not one from this era. But this rule allowed her to learn from a Newcomer Spirit Guide. And under a month, Mikasana became a Newcomer. Usually it takes three months. But her unnatural strength lead her to be a Newcomer.

The Regional Spirit Guides

These Spirit Guides have many experiences as a guide. Every Newcomer must have three years minimum to become one. They are tested by other Regional Spirit Guides or higher in order to become one. After which a Key member of the Upper Spirit Guide community accepts or deny membership.

One Key member is the Grim Reaper. If he's judging you. Make sure to impress him as a guide. He only accepts member who he knows can handle.

Lucky(or not) for Mikasana's is not him. Her Evaluator is someone under an another name. And she is promoted as a Regional Spirit Guide. Although her three years is not common with other guides. Her Evaluator thinks that she can handle it. And boy in some cases that be wrong. And recently caught destroying a comet.