Chapter 4

Lucas walked to Maya sleeping on the couch with the television still playing.

"Maya, get up we gotta get to school, dude." Maya opened her bright blue eyes and smiled. She was so adorable when she smiled. Anyone with eyes knows that.

She looked on the ground and saw her phone. It had a bunch of missed calls from her father and a voicemail. She didn't even listen to it. She couldn't be bothered.

When she got up, she took her small carry on bag and went to the bathroom to change. She had black jeans, a white t shirt, and a leather jacket. She looked at herself in the mirror, and all she saw was pure disappointment.

She remembered Riley and how she'd have to face her again today. She thought about how she'd never love her. Maya suddenly got mad and stormed out of the bathroom.

"Bye, Lucas I gotta go." She stammered as she ran out of the house. Lucas looked confused but he knew not to question it. He knew Maya had a problem, he didn't want to make her more frustrated.

When Maya walked up the stairs to her locker, she expected Riley to come. Instead, her morning was peaceful.

Too peaceful.

Maya walked to class and saw that Riley wasn't there. She's usually there early to throw a paper ball at Maya or something. But she wasn't. Something was wrong. And Maya wanted to find out what.

She got up to leave the class and when Mr. Matthews yelled at her to come back into the class, this was her response: "Make me, Matthews." And she ran out the door.

The hallway was quiet. Maya was walking up and down to try and find Riley.

Why was she doing this? Doesn't she like the peace without Riley? No. She didn't.

Maya took a break in front of her locker when she heard faint crying from the girl's locker room. Riley. It had to be her. She walked into the locker room and sure enough, Riley was there. Helpless. Crying with her face in her hands. Maya didn't walk in just yet. She just stood there and watched for a little bit.

"Why do these things always happen to me?" Riley kept whispering to herself. Maya was beyond confused, but was frozen. She didn't know why she wasn't moving.

Suddenly Riley looked up and saw Maya. Her face turned bright red. She got up and stormed over to her. "Alright you little bitch what did you hear?" Maya stuttered and finally huffed out, "N- nothing, I s- s- swear."

Riley put Maya down because she had pushed her against the lockers. "I'm sorry, Maya."

Maya couldn't believe her ears. Did Riley just say she was sorry? Riley sat down and Maya was still in shock. "Sorry for what, Riley?" Maya asked surprisingly curious.

Riley laughed through her tears. "You gotta be kidding, Hart." She said. Maya walked over and sat down next to her. "I don't understand you, Maya. Everyday I treat you like crap and what do you do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And I don't know how you do it. I guess that's why I'm a bitch to you all the time. To get on your nerves. But I never can."

Riley continues to cry. Maya looked at her and softly said almost in a whisper, "What's wrong, Riley?" Riley looked up at her, surprised.

After all she's done to Maya, she's acting like she cares?

Maya looked into Riley's eyes as if reading her thoughts. "I care about you, Riley."