Chapter 7

Maya was home in her bed. It was Saturday at last. But Maya wasn't happy. She hated Saturdays.

When Maya turned over and checked her phone, she was shocked. Missed calls and 12 messages.

From Riley

Maya walked down the stairs to her father on the floor. Knocked out from the alcohol. No surprise there. She walked back upstairs and looked at Riley's messages.

Hey, Maya✌️

I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere tomorrow, just the two of us to talk.

If you don't wanna that's fine.

Maya? Helooooo?

It's okay. I get it. Take time I know I was a bitch to you but I really want to fix things.

Please text me back when you get this.

There were 6 other messages from Lucas. But Maya didn't care about him right now.

Maya: That'd be great, meet me at the park tonight at 6:00. To talk.

Maya rolled out of bed and changed into blue ripped jeans put in a white t shirt and a jean jacket and walked to Lucas' house.

She needed advice, and he was the best person to talk to for advice.

The doorbell rang and Lucas opened the door, shocked to see Maya running in.

"Woah, slow down Penelope, ya running from the cops again?" Lucas asked jokingly.

"Haha very funny, Sundance, but I'm actually here for advice... from you." Maya says, making a funny gesture that looked like a gag reflex.

Lucas sat on the couch next to Maya and looked her in the eyes. "It's about Riley, isn't it? I know I know, she texted me about how excited she was that you two were hanging out today. I think she's really changed, Maya. I don't think you have anything to worry about." Lucas said this with sincerity. He hated seeing Maya get hurt. Maya knew that.

Maya looked down at her knees. "Well, Lucas. I sure hope you're right, because...."

Because what?

"N- never mind, I gotta go. Thanks Lucas!" Maya yelled as she ran out the door and into her car.

Maya needed to get ready for this... Whatever this was going to be.

But when she walked up the pathway to get to her house, she saw her dad through the window with some random lady, and they were smashing.

How could someone do this to their wife? To their kid?

Maya was so angry, she ran back to her car and drove straight to the park. She looked at her phone to see the time. It was getting dark already, since the weather was getting colder and colder each day.

When she saw the time, it said:

5:07

Great. She'll have to wait an hour at the park in the cold for someone who's bullied her for the last 2 years. Would she seem too desperate if she got there first?

She thought about this as she made it to the park. She checked her phone again.

5:09

Maya decided to stay in the warmth of her car. It was a pretty bad car, beaten up, basically torn to shreds, but the heater worked and right now, that's all Maya cared about.

She started to think about her sad life to pass the time by.

My dad is cheating on my mom right now.

I have an eating disorder.

I'm dirt poor and nobody loves me.

I have D's and F's in school and I have no one to help me.

Maya thought all of these things and more, and started to cry into her steering wheel.

"I just want this all to end." She said to herself quietly. She repeated this statement over and over again, until she lifted her head up and saw that her steering wheel was soaked in her tears.

Maya sniffled and wiped the tears out of her eyes.

Stop crying you ungrateful bitch, and shut the hell up, nobody cared that you're crying, nobody cares that you're hopeless, and nobody cares about YOU.

" SHUT UP!" Maya yelled to herself, when she turned and saw Riley sitting outside on the park bench. Oh no. Maya checked her phone.

5:58

Good, shes not late. Maya made herself look the most presentable she could and walked out of her car. Riley looked up and instantly had a concerned look on her face. She asked, "Maya.... were you crying?"

"N-no I wasn't I- I was just... just...."

"Stop it. You were crying." Riley got up and kept getting closer and closer to Maya. "It's cold outside, Maya." She said and she cupped Maya's face in her hands.

Maya was backed into Riley's car. It was much bigger and nicer than Maya's car, so Maya was glad that Riley chose her own.

Riley put the seats down, so there was a bigger space. "So... tell me, why were you crying?"

Maya looked down, and said in a voice that was breaking, "I came here to talk about you, Riley. Not me. Nobody wants to talk about me-"

"Hey!" Riley said which startled Maya a little bit. "Don't talk about yourself like that. You're one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. You're cute, you're nice, and you're layed back. I like that about you."

Riley said this as she inched closer to Maya's face. Maya could already feel the car heating up.

"You're scared, Maya." Riley said and Maya looked up and answered with a small nod.

Maya got closer to Riley until their lips touched, and pretty soon after that, the car windows were fogged. Let's just say, they didn't really talk as much as they planned.