Chapter 10

Maya got out of her car, tears strolling down her face. She slammed the door shut and ran to the side of the bridge.

She looked down at the water, and closed her eyes. She jumped onto the edge and shut her eyes even harder.

"Okay just jump and it will all be over. Okay 3...2....1." She went to jump but felt someone grab the back of her black, tear stained sweater, and pulled her back up.

Maya was crying so hard. "No, no no!! Let me jump please I just want it all to end please let me go I'm not worth it!"

Maya was sat down by the rescuer and looked up through her tears. "R-Riley?" She asked.

"No. My name is Tommy, I'm a police officer and I happened to see you trying to jump off of this bridge so I came over and got you just in time, luckily." Maya looked down.

"No not luckily, I'm hardly worth saving, officer."

"I'd have to disagree, miss. Anyways, where are your parents? Where do you live?" Tommy asked Maya.

"No... no I'm not going back. I-I can't, sir please take me anywhere just not my house I can't go back to my house! Please."

"Okay then I'll have to take you back to the station, miss...?"

"Maya. Maya Hart."

Tommy took her and pulled her up. "Alright Maya. Follow me, please." And he led her to his police car.

________________________________

Riley was sitting at her desk and didn't take her eyes off of the door.

Where the hell is Maya?

She leaned over to Lucas. "Hey Lucas, do you have any idea where Maya is? I'm concerned for her. She never misses school."

Lucas shrugged. "I don't know, Riley. Maybe she's at home..... oh god you're right. She could be in trouble."

Before Lucas could finish his sentence, Riley was already out the door. She called Maya.

No answer.

She called again.

No answer.

"Come on Maya, please pick up your damn phone please!" Riley begged her phone as she called one more time, and of course there was no answer.

Mr. Matthews came out into the hallway and told her, "You're not allowed to use those in school, Ms. Matthews." Riley answered harshly.

"I need to find Maya, dad. I love her and I don't care what you have to say. And if you tell mom, I don't care either because I'm going to find Maya either way."

With that she ran out of the school and drove to Maya's little house. She was scared, but the love she had for Maya was too strong for fear.

But when she walked into that house, Riley got the surprise of her life.