Chapter 5

Riley spoke. "My parents. They... they split up. They always fight but I never would've thought it would get to this, ya know?" She said with tears in her eyes.

Maya looked down. "You have no idea. Believe me. I know how it feels." Riley looked at Maya. She looked confused, and scared. "What do you mean? I thought your life was as good as mine. I mean, you're basically perfect."

Maya laughed sarcastically. "You have absolutely no idea, do you? Riley, my mom died when I was 7 years old and it was awful. I was crushed. My father took me in and he became an alcoholic shortly after. He would drink non stop and hurt me if I did something even just a little wrong. I became suicidal and cut myself daily to ease the pain. I stopped recently, though. I swore to myself that I wouldn't anymore."

When Maya saw Riley's face, a look of pure terror was on it. Terror. Nothing else. "Oh my God, Maya. I'm so so so sorry. I had no idea. You seemed unbothered by me for so long, why didn't you just tell me?"

"You wouldn't have listened, Riley. The only reason you're listening now is because you're at a low point. Tomorrow will just be back to norm-"

Riley cut Maya off by taking Maya's face in her palms. She wiped the tears from Maya's eyes, not caring about her own. "Maya, you're eyes are absolutely gorgeous, do you know that?" Riley smiled.

"My whole face looks like crap, Riley thanks for trying but I just can't do this right now." After Maya said this, they just stared at each other for a while. Then all of a sudden, they both pressed their faces together, and their lips met. At the exact same moment, both girls leaned in, it was like magic or something.

When they leaned back, Maya got up, very fast. She stood there while Riley looked up at her amazed. Maya choked out, "I... I need to go." She said as she ran out the door.

What the hell, Maya? Why did you run away? Isn't this what you've always wanted?