The Sword's Owner

Tessaiga and Tokijin clashed together as Inuyasha, who thanks to the dawning of the new day was now hanyou again, and the possessed Kaijinbo fought. The sword was monstrous. Inuyasha was cut up just from the kenatsu, the sword-pressure, in his human form. It also seemed the sword was allowing Kaijinbo's body to move, despite the fact that Miroku had cracked his skull open earlier.

"Gugugu... Totosai," Kaijinbo sneered. "Like you, your sword is nothing specia—!" Tessiga's kenatsu ripped Kaijinbo in half, and his body disintegrated. The only thing left of Kaijinbo was one hand, the one that was still clinging to Tokijin.

"What the..." Miroku said, surprised.

"Hmph... The sword was one thing, but Kaijinbo's body couldn't endure any more of Tessaiga's cutting force," Totosai explained. "He got possessed by a sword he forged himself, the damn novice..." Inuyasha was breathing heavily from exertion as Tessaiga transformed from it's now much heavier form to its inactive, rusty old katana form.

"Totosai, you bastard...!" Inuyasha yelled, pissed off.

"You got another problem?" Totosai said.

"Like—I—said—before!" Inuyasha said, punctuating each word by tapping the back of Tessaiga's blade against the old youkai's forehead. "How am I supposed to use such a heavy sword? It was hard enough doing one swing!" Inuyasha shouted.

"You want to know?" Totosai said. "A way in which to be able to handle a heavy Tessaiga, that is..."

"Eh..." Kagome said.

"There is a way?" Inuyasha asked.

"It's simple," Totosai said. Inuyasha and Totosai stared at each other for a moment.

"... You're not seriously going to suggest 'train your body,' are you?" Inuyasha asked, giving Totosai a brilliant, closed-eyed, shit-eating grin and clapping the old youkai on the shoulder.

"Gulp!" Totosai said as he swallowed his next words.

"So, it was that," Inuyasha said, annoyed, as he bopped Totosai on the head, a vein throbbing in his clenched fist.

"Have you finished your conversation?" Miroku asked. Tokijin pulsed with evil energy. "It seems the sword's evil energy has decreased only very slightly with Kaijinbo's death."

"The sword stained with the evil of Kaijinbo and the oni called Goshinki. Such a thing has to be removed from existence," Totosai said. Inuyasha prepared to draw Tessaiga again. A rumble came from the sky, like thunder, and then it suddenly became overcast and cloudy. A ball of blue light formed and crashed down like lightning, cutting Inuyasha off from getting to Tokijin.

"Wha—!" Inuyasha said, surprised. It was Sesshoumaru, riding his two-headed dragon, Ah-Un. The lightning had been caused by Ah, whose muzzle had been removed to allow him to fire as they descend rapidly from the skies. Sesshoumaru leaped off of Ah-Un when they were closer to the ground, and landed gracefully beside Tokijin. Ah-Un landed a few feet away, and Inuyasha noticed a second rider that had been hidden behind Sesshoumaru. His eyes widened. It was Katsumi.

"Wha... Katsumi-chan!?" Kagome exclaimed in surprise. She then remembered something Tsukihime, Katsumi's mother had told her the last time she returned to her era for more supplies.

«« Flashback ««

Kagome climbed up the ladder her family had installed in the well for her, and was now entering her house.

"Mom! I'm home!" she called as she walked through the house. She could hear her mom talking to someone in the living room.

"Oh, Kagome! Welcome home!" her mother said, smiling, happy to see her daughter again, as Kagome entered the room. Her mother had been talking with Katsumi's mother, Tsukihime-san. They had started calling the Dubois-sans by their first names, since she insisted because the two families had become close, and their first names were easier to pronounce than their fancy French family name.