Fight Like Cats And Dogs

Karan shot multiple fireballs at Katsumi and Sesshoumaru.

"Stay out of they way," Sesshoumaru told Katsumi as he stepped forward and blocked the flames with Tokijin. The flames couldn't compete with the sword's kenatsu.

'Am I even needed here at all...?' Katsumi wondered. Karan wasn't discouraged, and she at ran at them, enveloped in her own flames for protection.

"Now take my fire!" Karan yelled. She shot a larger burst of flames at them, but Sesshoumaru countered it by sending a burst of energy from Tokijin to blow it away. The blue energy obliterated the flames and continued on, hitting Karan. Karan screamed as she was thrown back. She hit the huge stonewall behind her, and burst into flames, but then fell into the moat that surrounded the castle.

"Damn!" Karan said, wincing as she stood up in the water.

"I should've brought a book with me to read or something... You really don't need me at all," Katsumi said. Toran's ice spear flew through the air. Sesshoumaru leapt back, and the spear embedded itself in the ground where Sesshoumaru's feet had been.

"Whoa!" Katsumi said, as she leapt into the air too. Ice was rapidly spreading over the ground, and freezing everything it touched, including the trees behind them. Katsumi and Sesshoumaru landed back on the now slippery, ice-covered ground.

'Well this doesn't put me at a disadvantage at all...' Katsumi thought, chagrined. She had never had to walk on ice before—she was from the south for crying out loud!

"Nee-san!" Karan said.

"I'm surprised," Toran said, tendrils of frosty air swirling around her. "I thought you'd be weaker than before."

'Oh, no, she didn't!' Katsumi thought.

"What do you mean?" Sesshoumaru asked.

"That arm," Toran said. "After all, who was it that cut it off?" she laughed.

"Why don't you have a nice cup of shut the hell up?" Katsumi said coolly, frowning at Toran. She had a feeling they were going to see Inuyasha again soon, and things would only get worse if she brought up something like that. Besides, Sesshoumaru could probably defeat her with just his pinky finger if he had to. Sesshoumaru leapt into the air, swinging Tokijin at Toran. Toran fired a stream of ice to counter his blow; they stared each other down as their attacks clashed. Katsumi ducked as a fireball flew at her. She glanced down at Karan, who seemed to have gotten a second wind.

"You shouldn't underestimate your opponent!" Karan yelled, shooting another fireball at Katsumi

"You should take your own advice!" Katsumi retorted. "Hyo Kogamo!" She swung Taifuu Kochou, and sent a shower of teal crystallized youki at her. Karan managed to dodge most of it, but she was hit in the arm by one of the small crystals. "Aah!" Karan cried. The crystal was lodged in her arm like a bullet, and it burned. It wasn't that serious, though; the crystal would be pushed out when she healed. Karan tried to shoot another fireball at Katsumi, but to her shock, she couldn't. Katsumi didn't look the least bit surprised. Karan looked at her arm. She didn't understand. Her arm was healed, so why couldn't she use her powers? Katsumi seemed to be waiting for her to make the next move, so Karan did. She escaped while she still could, since her Nee-san had come to help her do just that in the first place.

'What did she do to me!?' Karan wondered. Meanwhile, Sesshoumaru and Toran's attacks finally fizzled out, and the two leapt back to regain their footing. Sesshoumaru landed on the iced-over bridge, and Toran landed on the roof over the gate.

"The party will start very soon. Come at your leisure," Toran said and disappeared in a whirl of wind and ice.

"These cats sure are good at running away... I think they're just trying to buy time to revive their Oyakata-sama," Katsumi said.