Cats Vs. Dogs, The Age-old Struggle

It was the night of the new moon. True to Boukuseno's prediction, Katsumi did not turn human again this time. Katsumi felt a little lonely somehow to think that she would never be human again, like she had been for her entire existence before she wound up in feudal Japan, but she was also relieved because it meant she wouldn't be a liability anymore. Katsumi would be able to protect Rin better, now that she didn't need protection for herself. They were all walking under the starry sky as Sesshoumaru led the way, and Rin slept on Ah-Un's back. A familiar scent pervaded the air, and Katsumi turned her head to look in the direction from which it came. She saw that Sesshoumaru was staring in that direction too.

"This scent... isn't it Naraku...?" Katsumi asked.

"Naraku... you say. Isn't he that charlatan who was disrespectful against you previously, Sesshoumaru-sama?" Jaken said.

"... It's his smell," Sesshoumaru confirmed.

"Then, is he nearby?" Jaken asked.

"..." Sesshoumaru said. A sudden and incredibly strong gust of wind blew, blowing back Jaken, and knocking the sleeping Rin off of Ah-Un. Katsumi managed to catch Rin before she hit the ground and decided it would be safer for Rin if she just held her.

"Yeek!" Jaken squeaked in surprise.

"Yo," Kagura said as she landed on the ground.

"You're...!" Jaken said, surprised. Rin held onto Katsumi as she woke up and blinked in confusion.

"Sesshoumaru... you also caught wind of Naraku's smell and came?" Kagura asked, smirking.

"Se... Sesshoumaru-sama, this woman is Naraku's offspring..." Jaken said nervously, glancing between Kagura and Sesshoumaru.

'It's that flirt-and-run woman...' Katsumi thought.

"..." Sesshoumaru said. He placed his hand over Tokijin's hilt. "Kagura the wind-user... you called yourself."

"Heh... I'm glad. So, you remembered me, huh?" Kagura said. "Take your hand off your sword. I didn't come here to fight." Sesshoumaru made no move to release his hold on Tokijin.

"Why did you come here, then?" Katsumi asked.

"Sesshoumaru... will you bargain with me?" Kagura asked, as though Katsumi weren't even there.

'What am I? Chopped liver?' Katsumi thought, annoyed.

"Bargain...?" Sesshoumaru said.

"You know what these are, don't you? These Shikon no tama fragments... I'll give them to you. In return... you kill Naraku and release me from him," Kagura said determinedly.

'She really does want him dead, doesn't she?' Katsumi thought.

"Wha..." Jaken said.

"You're betraying Naraku, then," Sesshoumaru said.

"Hmph, it's not like I obeyed him because I liked to in the first place," Kagura said. "How about it, Sesshoumaru? I think it's to your advantage to partner with me."

"Unfortunately for you... I have no interest in the Shikon no tama," Sesshoumaru said coolly.

'What...!?' Kagura thought in surprise. Every other youkai she ever came across desired the jewel shards...!

"If you want to be free, go ahead and use those fragments yourself to defeat Naraku," Sesshoumaru said.

"Are you scared of Naraku?" Kagura accused.

"I have no obligation to save you. If you aren't prepared to do it by yourself, then you can't consider betraying him," Sesshoumaru said, unfazed.

"You coward! You call yourself a man!?" Kagura yelled angrily. Katsumi raised her eyebrows at the outburst.