You Lose Not By Loving, But Holding Back

Sesshoumaru and Kohaku seemed to be in a Mexican standoff. Sesshoumaru stared at Kohaku as the boy held the Scythe above Rin.

'Kill the girl,' Naraku's voice echoed in Kohaku's mind. Kohaku twitched, and his grip tightened on his kusarigama. Kohaku stood and turned around to face Sesshoumaru.

"Oh-ho..." Sesshoumaru said. He dropped Katsumi. Despite hitting the ground with a thud, she didn't even flinch. She was out cold. "You plan to oppose me, huh..." Sesshoumaru said, flexing his claws. Kohaku raised his weapon and inched forward.

"Kohaku! What're you doing, bastard!" Inuyasha yelled as he rushed forward and punched Kohaku aside before things took a turn for the worse. Kohaku landed a few feet away, with another thud. Sesshoumaru stayed where he was, gauging the situation.

"Ah..." Kagome gasped as she spotted Rin and ran up and to check on the unconscious little girl. "It's okay, she's... just fainted, that's all...!" Kagome said as she looked up at Sesshoumaru. She noticed Katsumi was lying on the ground beside him, unconscious. 'Eh...? Katsumi-chan... What happened to her?' Kagome wondered, concerned. Kagome glanced down at the small girl she was holding. 'Katsumi-chan told me before that she had someone she needed to protect... could it be this girl...?'

'We made it, huh...' Inuyasha thought with relief.

"You heard what she said, Sesshoumaru. So don't touch Kohaku!" Inuyasha said.

"..." Sesshoumaru glanced at Rin and then Kohaku. "You're wasting your time, Inuyasha. Even if you protect him... It seems that kid wants to be caught by my claws, no matter what."

"!" Inuyasha was startled when Kohaku stood back up, ready to fight. Kohaku inched forwards again. 'Ugh. This is Naraku's suggestion too, huh... to provoke Sesshoumaru, and die by his hand...' Inuyasha thought.

Kohaku hurled the Scythe at Sesshoumaru.

"Damn!" Inuyasha said as he blocked the scythe. He didn't need Kohaku to give Sesshoumaru another reason to attack him. "!" Inuyasha said in surprise when Sesshoumaru suddenly appeared in front of him, holding Kohaku up by his neck.

"To fend off the kid's weapon... I didn't know you thought so well of me," Sesshoumaru said to Inuyasha.

"What the hell are you gibbering on about. Let go of him, or I'll rip you apart, you bastard!" Inuyasha yelled as he pointed Tessaiga at Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru tightened his grip on Kohaku's neck.

"Don't do it, Sesshoumaru!" Kagome pleaded.

'This kid... is showing neither pain, nor fear. It's unsatisfying, this expression of his...' Sesshoumaru thought as he stared into Kohaku's vacant eyes. Sesshoumaru loosened his grip on Kohaku and let the boy drop to the ground.

"..." Inuyasha stared, slightly stunned that Sesshoumaru had actually done as they asked.

"Uh..." Rin groaned as she started to regain consciousness.

"Ah... you're awake!" Kagome said.

"Ah... Sesshoumaru-sama!" Rin shouted happily when she saw that he had come for her. Rin heard rustling, and she noticed that Kohaku was sitting on the ground in front of Sesshoumaru. "!" Rin gasped in surprise. "Kohaku..." she said sadly when she remembered what had happened. Kohaku stood up and ran away.

'... Not going after him, huh...' Inuyasha thought as he kept an eye on Sesshoumaru, who was silently watching Kohaku leave. "!" Inuyasha said when a strong gust of wind suddenly blew, and Kagura flew up from behind the trees on her feather. Kohaku was with her.

"Kagura..." Inuyasha said. He hadn't noticed her scent. Rin noticed something was lying on the ground a few feet away... it was Katsumi. Her dark kimono had made it harder to see her in the dark.