22

May 14th

So, it is time. Kagome sighed and watched Kenshin as he did the laundry. She knew the truth. That he will not get to meet Okubo today. For he will be assassinated this morning, inside his carriage. But the others do not know, and she will not tell them. History must stay constant, she can not go around rewriting it, deciding she will not stop his death. Some things must take their course in life, and do what comes natural.

Seeing Kenshin and the others stand up, so did she. They then proceeded to walk down the widened road outside the dojo. A relaxing stroll isn't such a bad idea. Kenshin and the children were watching some fireflies floating along the path. The small scene made Kagome smile.

Kaoru and the doctor stood behind him. Kaoru spoke a few words to him. Probably something like 'Promise to--blah blah.' So she would have something to tie him down with, so he would be back. Kenshin being who he is would not break a promise. But that was a silly idea. She would never do something like that. Not anymore.

Sano and the others rudely barged in, interrupting her little thoughts. They started asking if he would really take up his offer or not. She giggled as Sano slammed his foot unto Kenshin's head, in objection. It seems that Kenshin said something that angered him... Maybe she should pay more attention to what they were saying? -- Nah.

She raised her head to the sky, closing her eyes. Her mind went blank as the others started to talk among themselves. It wasn't until they started talking about Saito, and hearing the small girls squeal. 'I hate him- I hate him' did she look at them.

She did not find the man to be that disliking. He was rather similar to Sesshomaru-- In his own way. No one was really like the Demon Lord-- and no one will be. He is in a class of his own, and no one has the power to say other wise. Oh! She blinked, remembering. Saito. She almost forgot. He injured Kenshin quite badly in that fight. It seems he was seriously going after him. She forgot to rip his head off for disobeying her orders... She shrugged. She'll do it later.

"I will go see Lord Okubo; That I will." Kenshin's words fell into her ears. She smiled. She knew he would.

"But why Kenshin? He will be coming to us!" Kaoru said.

"Lord Okubo is a rather busy man. It's faster for me to go see him, then for him to come and see me." He told her, as he started to walk away. Miss Megumi got in front of him.

"Let's get serious now, Sir Ken." She placed a leather dog collar onto Kenshin's neck and started to laugh in victory.

She started to say something about him being her pet, and if that didn't work, she would use the paralyzing powder she has. Kagome didn't really care past that point. She was too busy holding her sides, laughing at Kenshin. He looks so funny! Tied up like a dog! Ha-ha!

"In any case." Kenshin easily took off the leather strap from his neck. "I'll be going now; That I will."

"Go?" Sano asked. "You know where Okubo is right now?"

"I heard he was going to visit the Cabinet over in Akasaka. So, I'll bump into him if I go around Kioizaka." Kenshin told them.

"Then I'll go with you--" Yahiko offered.

"No." He quickly objected. "It will be a long discussion, and it's better if I go alone; That it is." He then started to slowly walk down the dirt rode.

"Kenshin?" Kagome called out to him. Everyone looked towards her, and then blinked in confusion. Did they not notice her there? She resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"Yes, Miss Kagome?" He turned his head, just enough to glance at her over his shoulder.

"Be careful." She smiled warmly at him.