25

"Is something the matter Miss Kagome?" Kenshin asked. "You have been very quiet for a long time now."

"I'm fine." She tried to reassure him. The truth was, she was thinking about her friends. Seeing Myoga again, brought back some memories. He just nodded, and didn't ask anymore questions. She was glad, and they continued their trek.

They walked for several minutes before a familiar smell wafted into Kagome's nose. Kagome stopped in her tracks. Kenshin did not notice, for he continued moving forward. She grabbed his sleeve, and he instantly stopped.

"Miss Kagome is there something--" He looked over his shoulder at her. Seeing she had a very serious look in her eyes, his own eyes hardened.

She had her head turned to the side, she glanced at him before looking back. He got her silent signal, and placed his hand on his sword. He then dashed forward, wanting to attack first, before they did. She soon followed him. What awaited her was something far worse then she expected, and she flinched. It was a man, he was half dead. She knew he did not have much time left. Even she could not save him...

"Do you have any last words?" Kenshin said, kneeling down in front of him. "It must be fate that I am overseeing your death. I will do as much as I can; That I promise."

"P-please. My little brother-- And the village. Save them from Shishio's group." He rasped out. Showing he was holding a boy, no older then 10, in his arms.

"Shishio." Kenshin's eyes hardened. Kagome turned her head, as she heard the man take his last breath, and his heart stopped beating.

It was not until after we were finished burying him, did the boy start to awaken. He started to ask about his brother, and seeing the pile of dirt, with a chipped katana sticking out of it, he knew what happened. He started to cry, and Kagome was having a hard time staying focused.

Kenshin then asked what happened. The boy yelled, asking how he would be of any help. Kenshin told him he was after Shishio. The boy then saw he was not lying and started to tell him.

He was from a small village, called Shingetsu. It was very close by. Shishio invaded two years ago and killed the officers stationed in town. They then killed any other police who came, until they finally stopped coming. After that, Shishio's men started to slowly come in, one at a time, until they ruled over everything. The boy started to get angry, saying they were abandoned and that he had proof. Showing a map, the village was no longer present on it and it was like they never existed.

The boy got serious and said he was going to go to the village and save everyone. He was about to pull his brothers sword from its site, when Kenshin stopped him. He said he would go in his bothers place, and take care of it. He then asked me to watch the boy and stay here. I didn't object, and nodded in understanding. He then left, going towards the village alone.

Hearing the kid pull out the sword she looked at him. He then walked away, towards the same direction as Kenshin. She sighed. Does the boy not listen? She grabbed onto his shoulder, preventing him from going any further. He started to yell at her, saying she wouldn't stop him. She smiled. She was not going to stop him. She said that if he wanted to do it properly he would have to wait, before taking chase. Kenshin had very good senses, and if they did not stay far away, he would catch them. He nodded, and they both headed towards the village together.

They slowly followed Kenshin, arriving at the village, soon after. He then turned a corner, and we cased him. Taking the curve she flinched at the gruesome seen in front of her. Two people, a man and woman, were hacked up, and hung in the middle of the town, as if in warning. She quickly reached down to cover the boy's eyes, but it was too late. He screamed in horror, and collapsed on the ground crying.