Part 22

I sat alone in an empty back room of the house, trying to let everything that Madison told us sink in as it felt like the world was just relentlessly beating us down.
I couldn't help the tears the stung at my eyes, threatening to cascade over my bottom lashes and break the barrier that I tried so hard to keep up.
Over the years, being with Nick, the struggles we all endured made me a stronger person, even if those years were filled with the most tears. But that doesn't mean that things don't get me, and the reality of losing someone we all knew felt beyond detrimental.

I lifted my head as I heard the door to the room open, Nick silently appearing as he closed it behind himself, taking a seat beside me on the bed.
He wrapped his arm over my shoulder as I leaned into him, a sigh of pure mental exhaustion leaving my lips.

"I love you." He said quietly, leaning his head atop mine.

"I love you too." I sniffled in before raising my head, pushing his messy hair aside as I thanked whatever luck we had on our side for giving me the chance to do this again-- to be able to be together again, "How do you feel?"

"I'm good as long as I'm with you." He breathed, laying his hand on my thigh, our eyes locking as I felt the love we always had for each other only growing more full.

"Me too." I mouthed, a smile growing on my face before our lips briefly met.

"Strand says that we're leaving tomorrow morning-" Nick began as he pulled away slightly, causing me to furrow my brows.

"Leaving?" I questioned, "We just got here."

"He has this boat-- the Abigail," Nick calmed, "He said he wants to stay in constant motion and that the boat will be the safest place for everyone."

I nodded slowly, "And you trust him?"

He shrugged, "He hasn't given me a reason not to yet."

I nodded again, my mind racing again from the new information and never seeming to get a decent break, before I looked back over to him, "What happened back there?" I asked, referring to the medical facility.

Nick laid back flat against the bed as he let out a deep breath, staring up at the ceiling, "They kept us caged up and would come by and check people's temperature-- take them out if they were too high, you know?" He explained, "They pulled me out but Strand, he must've bribed the guard or something."

I laid next to Nick, propping myself up on my elbow as my hand rested on his chest, "Well, remind me to thank him."

***

"Are you two hungry?" Madison asked as Nick and I walked into the kitchen, the skyline out the windows dark as I realized how long we had been away from everyone.

"Yeah, uh, starving actually." I admitted, glancing around the living room, "Where's Travis and Chris?" I asked, my tone hushed.

"Outside, I think," she answered, grabbing me a bowl as she scooped pasta into it, "We wrapped Liza's body so we can take her on the boat with us-- give her a proper burial wherever we end up." She explained, handing me the food.

"And do you know what time we'll be leaving for the boat tomorrow?" I asked as Nick grabbed two bottles of water out of the fridge, handing me one.

"Early." Strand said simply, appearing from one of the hallways, "I'd like to get out of here by 7am-- less chance of running into anyone else."

"Running into anyone?" I questioned, "Who the hell is there to run into?"

"Anyone who doesn't like it, I'll be happy to leave behind." He spoke, pulling out a bottle of liquor from the cabinets.

"Hey-" Nick began, trying to defuse the situation, setting his bowl of food down before his mother cut him off.

"We'll all be ready before then," she assured before looking over to me, giving me a stare only a mother could possess, "All of us."

***

"Go take these over to Daniel and Ofelia, would you?" Madison asked, holding out two bottles of medication.

I nodded, grabbing the bottles before walking into the living room, "I think these are for Ofelia." I smiled, handing them to Daniel.

"Gracias." Daniel thanked, taking the pills from me before reading over the bottles.

"How're you feeling?" I asked, sitting down on the couch across from them both.

"I've been better," Ofelia joked, the wound obviously causing her pain as she chuckled, "You could probably say the same thing, right?"

"Oh- well, I mean it's no gunshot, but it's definitely not the most comfortable I've been." I admitted.

For a moment, all seemed peaceful-- no worry of what could come next, no arguing, and less stress than I've felt in a long time, but little did we all know, hell was waiting just out the door.