Part 25

I sat on the stairs behind Nick, my hands resting on his shoulders as I mindlessly thumbed over his neck, occupying my mind that was filled with heartbreak.

"Um," Travis hummed lowly as he looked around at all of us, "You all knew Liza long enough to know what kind of a person she was and how devoted she was to her family; she loved to help people-- she would help anyone and she did.. she was selfless, you know?" He continued as her covered body laid out on a table in front of us, "She just- she would give from her heart." He paused, letting out a shaky breath, "And she could be fierce-- oh my god, she was so strong and.. it was painful sometimes." He joked, a small smile finding its way into everyone's face, "And the best thing we ever did together was our son.. who she loved more than anything or anyone."

The air returned to its quiet state as Chris walked over to his mothers body, the sight leaving chills, but in an instant, the chills turned to a stomach churning shock.
You could feel everyone immediately tense as Chris furiously dumped Liza's body into the ocean below; the table it was once on crashing back down to the deck floor as it left his grip.

Travis followed quickly behind his son as he stormed back inside the boat, leaving all of us speechless and alone to fully process what just happened.

"Well, that could've gone better." Alicia breathed, breaking the tension that we all felt.

***

"How're you feeling?" Nick asked, coming up beside me as his arm snaked around me, his hand gently brushing up against my side.

I shrugged, setting a stack of plates on the large table, "It still hurts, but it's getting more manageable."

"Travis?" Alicia called as she came up from below deck, a large radio in her arms, "Travis, someone needs help-- they're sinking."

"Who?" Travis tiredly asked, sitting down with a glass of alcohol after his explosive talk with Chris.

"Look, it's just him, his brother, and his sister in law-- just three." Alicia explained in a hushed tone, "We can manage that."

"What's this?" Madison asked, coming over to where they both sat.

"Jack, his name's Jack-" Alicia began before Strand cut her off, coming down onto the main floor.

"Who the hell is Jack?" He inquired, his tone unreadable, something not uncommon, "You gonna make me ask twice?"

"He's on a fishing boat near here and he's sinking." Alicia's near frantic voice explained as she broke the silence that flooded the room.

"You talked to him?" Strand asked, gesturing at the radio she had resting in her lap.

Alicia looked up to her mother for a second before back at Strand, "Yes.. I talked to him."

"Did you tell him anything about us?"

"I- no, I didn't tell him anything that was important." She stuttered out, the air getting thicker around us as the seconds past.

"What didn't you say, Alicia?" Strands voice boomed, getting impatient, "What didn't you tell him about us?"

"Calm down-" Travis breathed, trying to defuse the situation.