Part 23

Ofelia, Daniel, and I shared shocked glances as loud explosions echoed through the air. The house around us shook like one of LA's notorious earthquakes, but this was very different, and it was clear to everyone.

"Madison!" Travis's panicked voice called as he came in from outside, "Where's Strand? We need to get out of here now!"

"Travis-" Daniel began, standing up before Travis stopped him, nodding.

"What the hell is going on?" Strand asked, coming into the living room, soon followed by everyone else.

"They're bombing the place and we have to leave now-" Travis began to explain.

"Cobalt.." Madison said quietly, looking over at Daniel before another loud explosion caused the ground beneath our feet to rumble.

"What do you people mean-- what the hell is cobalt?" Strand asked, confused and impatient.

"It's a failsafe-- Cobalt," Daniel began, helping Ofelia off the couch before Travis rushed to their side, assisting, "The bastard who shot my Ofelia told us that Cobalt was the militaries way of decontamination-"

"Dad!" Chris breathlessly called as he rushed into the house, another explosion sounding off, "They're getting closer."

"Shit.." Strand swore under his breath, briefly looking down at his watch, "Ok, grab what little you need; the raft is tied down on the beach. We'll have to take two trips buts it's the only way, so let's make this as quick and painless as possible."

***

As Daniel and Alicia helped Ofelia get into the raft, the waves swelling around it, I quickly helped shuttle bags from shore, handing them off to Nick.

"If we're going to do this, we need to make the first trip now!" Strand yelled over the crashing waves and jet engine that soared above us.

"Come on, let's go!" Nick called, grabbing my hand before I tried pulling back, still in his grasp.

I shook my head, the high winds whipping my hair around, "I'll take the second trip-- stay back and keep watch!"

"Hannah, come on-"

"Nick, I'll be fine!" I cut him off, truly feeling like it would be a better idea to not overload the small boat and stay back to help with Liza, just in case.

"I'm not leaving you again-- get in the goddamn boat!" Nick gestured.

"I'll leave both of you if I have to!" Strand yelled.

Nick looked back at me, a pleading look on his face before I gave in, climbing into the boat as he followed behind.

***

"Nick, grab the bow line," Strand instructed as we sped over the choppy water, the Abigail getting closer by the second, "You're going to tie off."

I glanced back over at land, seeing it glowing against the waters edge, seeming to get worse after every blink and reminding me of how real all of this actually was.

As soon as we reached the ship, we all started unloading from the small boat; Nick following behind Strand as Alicia handed me bag after bag, tossing them on the deck.

We paused for a moment as another explosion went off, lighting up the sky and sending chills down my spine.

"This is the last one." Alicia murmured, handing me the bag before taking my free hand and stepping onto the deck.

I looked back just as Nick jogged onto the deck, "Where's Strand?"

"He's busy with the ship-- I'm going back." He explained, hopping into the raft.