Chapter Fifteen - Mother-Daughter Day Out

Chapter Fifteen// Mother-Daughter Day Out

"Kotoko... Wake up." I heard mommy whispering in my ear.

"H-Hm?" My eyes fluttered as I sat up. "Mommy...?" I looked around seeing it was dark. It was probably 6 o'clock.

"Remember, today's our Mother-Daughter Day Out?" I smiled. "Quickly get ready." I nodded as I got out of bed and started getting dressed.

"It's a mother and Daughter day." I said excitedly, fixing my headband. Afterwards, I went downstairs, I had eggs, bacon and beans for breakfast, made by mommy.

"So, where will we go?" I cheerfully asked. She smiled as she sat down on the table.

"Well, I think you'll be needing new pyjamas." She started off.

"Pink and white!" I suggested. "It's my favourite!"

"We'll see." She laughed. "Just hurry up and eat. We don't want to wake up your father." The thought of father just made me remember the awkward dinner. The awkward tension just killed me. I nodded as I had my breakfast and put my shoes on.

The sky was a little bit lighter than when I first woke up, but the air was chilly. I started putting on my gloves as we both set off. I held Mummy's hand, you know, just for safety reasons.

"Ah, Kotoko! Look at that!" My mother pointed out. "The Cherry Blossom trees are growing!" I smiled brightly. Those are my favourite flowers, and mummy's when she was young, adorbs girl too. She gently picked one flower off the branch and puts it in my hair. 

"Mummy! What does it symbolise again?" I asked her.

"Ah, the cherry blossom represents the fragility and the beauty of life." She started, as we continued walking. "It's a reminder that life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful but that it is also tragically short."

"I see." I smiled. I'm glad I'm able to spend a bit more time with mummy. As soon as we entered town, I noticed a girl with green hair in the distance. I froze. Monaca? What is she doing here?

"What's wrong, dear?" Mummy asked. But I shook my head.

"Everything is okay. Really." I smiled. But I saw her making my way.

"Kotoko! What a surprise! Monaca didn't expect to see you here!" She cheerfully said, clapping her hands. Mummy looked down and up at her.

"Uh, Hello." Mummy started. "What's your name?"

"Monaca's name is Monaca. Nice to meet you Mrs Utsugi." Since when did she get all formal. I was expecting a 'Kotoko's mum' but 'Mrs Utsugi'?

Mother also seemed surprised and smiled. "Looks like your parents taught you well."