Chapter 1: Cold Night

Hanji's POV

I don't think that Moblit knows it, but I notice all his fidgeting while I eat my lunch with him. This is the first time that he seems so uneasy around me.

"Hey" I said as I pointed my fork at him. Moblit looked at me for a moment. "Tell me, whats your problem. Really." He was startled as I harshly stabbed my salad while glaring at him. We stared at each other for more than a minute, before I shrugged and just decided to continue eating.

"I like you"

For a second, I felt myself stop. I put on a blank face and acted as if I heard nothing.

"Hanji please, I like you and wish to go out with you. I hope you-"

"No thanks" I said as I put my fork down and looked at him. Moblit is shocked but after a few seconds, he just smiled warmly at me.

"It didn't even took you a minute to think" he said.

"I don't need a minute for it. Heck, even a second is a waste of time thinking about it. I'm just sure with myself that I don't need a man and that Science is the only thing that I'm gonna marry someday" I said as I smirked

"I didn't know that getting rejected feels like this" Moblit smiled sadly making me feel a bit guilty. He is a good friend after all.

"I'm so-"

"No its okay. I just want you to know how I feel" he said before he started eating his food again. "But if it bothers you, just act as if nothing happened earlier. Okay squad leader Zoe?" I laughed a little at what Moblit called me.

"Sure Moblit" I said. We ate in silence after that. I don't know what to say after all and I'm sure that he is thinking the same.

I swallowed the last bite of my food amd was gulping my drink when a slightly tall brunette woman approached us, panting as she stopped in front of me. I put the water bottle down and wiped my lips with the sleeves of my polo. Moblit stopped eating as he looked at the woman too.

"Ms. Zoe" she said before she took a deep breath and looked at me "Mr. Smith is looking for you"

"Erwin?" I asked raising an eyebrow. She just nodded. "Why? Did he tell you?"

"No ma'am"

I hummed in reponse and nodded at her. Then she made a bow before turning her back at me, leaving the place.

"I have this feeling that Erwin has some weird plans going on in his mind again" I put my hand in my chin while I think.

"You do?" Moblit asked.

I smiled and got up from the chair. "Yep so I better get going now. Bye!" I said and skipped my way out of the cafeteria.

"Wait-" Moblit called for me but I already left the place grinning. I'm sure that he called me to remind me of the utensils I just used for eating earlier. I just always left it at the table with all of my mess which almost all of the people note as 'inappropriate'. Oh well, I don't care anyway.

After a few minutes of walking, I finally reached Erwin's office. Without knocking, I opened his office door and casually went inside, sitting at the couch. Erwin, on the other hand, just continued to read the papers, greatly aware of my presence.

"So" I said getting his attention "Why did you call me?" I asked as I crossed my legs. Erwin just sighed and threw an envelope in my direction. With my great reflex, I perfectly caught it, tripping on my own feet in the process.

"I highly appreciate your help with regards to that" he said getting back on reading papers. I looked at him confused before reading the envelope that Erwin just gave me.