Chapter 7: Bet

Hanji's POV

Monday. The day I hated the most. It signals the start of my week which includes work, finances, and dealing with my gay roommate who is even more masculine than me. I am actually having doubts with this 'sexuality' of Levi but remembering his story erases all of it. I mean, I still get cringey whenever I remember that he was caught kissing another guy in a secluded storage room. But as much as that story makes me a bit uneasy, it also makes me feel pity towards Levi. He probably didn't want any of that to happen. He just fell in love, hid his relationship but worked honestly. It is his boyfriend that brought him to trouble.

That is actually another reason why I don't want to enter a relationship. Love is only a distraction and nuisance since it makes you lose yourself. Working my ass off and paying my monthly rent while sustaining my meals is even better than maintaining a good relation with a guy.

I placed my hand bag on my desk and pulled my chair to settle myself on it. I opened my desktop computer and started doing my research on visuals and design. This is actually way beyond my interest but since Erwin assigned me on this, I don't have any other choice but to do this. Tho I have a feeling that he did this to test me. Maybe for a promotion or a reason for my termination (honestly I don't favor the latter). Nevertheless I will show him what Hanji Zoe is made of. You blonde bastard thinks you can just mess with me? Well I'll prove myself to you so get your eyebrows ready cause it will be raised a lot due to amazement.

A smirk was planted on my face as I started typing.

~*~

"Oy, Hanji. You okay?" Moblit asked me, seeing that I never even made any move since I got my food and rested myself in the cafeteria.

"You know what, maybe I should just resign" I said with a straight face which made Moblit forwn in confusion.

"What?"

"AAAAAHHHH!!!" I screamed messing my hair which made almost everyone in the cafeteria look at us. "I don't know what to do Moblit. I don't have a fuckin' clue as to how you cater an event or design some shits" With my hands still on either sides of my head, I bumped my forehead a few times on the surface of the table. "Stupid. Empty. Bird brain!"

"Hey. Hey!" I was stopped when Moblit held my shoulders and made me look at him. "You can nail it. Trust me" He said with a smile.

"How?" I said with a small voice, totally losing hope. All the energy I had in the morning was suddenly robbed.

"Maybe, start by being an organized person. Those type of person are the ones who are good on designing after all since they know how to put stuffs in its respective place while maintaining a smart appearance" Moblit suggested. Psh. As if I can be that kind of person.

"You know that is impossible. I couldn't even clean my-" My eyes widened in realization. "Thats it Moblit!" I said, putting both of my hands in his shoulders. "I gotta go! I have work to do!" I said running out of the cafeteria.

~*~

"Erwin!" I called him as soon as I pushed his office door open. He looked at me with no interest at all but I shrugged it off. "I have a suggestion" I said sitting at a chair in front of his desk.

"Hanji, you know that every suggestion you give always ends up either in a mess or a failure" He said getting his attention back to his laptop.

"Not really. Remember the excavation in South America? I brought you a number of brazilian real" I smirked which made Erwin rolled his eyes.

"Thats an exception, yeah. But if we'll see the probability of this idea of yours succeeding, it is like 70:30"

"Yep. 70% success, 30% fail"

Erwin sighed. "Its the other way round Hanji"

"But Erwin!" I said pleading "I don't really think I could do this alone"

"You can Hanji. You just don't believe in yourself" He said without removing his eyes from his laptop screen.

"Its not that I don't believe in myself. I know and I admit that I really can't do this. So I'm suggesting that I get someone to help me" I said which made Erwin stop his typing.

"And you are thinking of who?"

I smiled. "A friend of mine"

Erwin frowned, his eyebrows meeting. God. I really hate that expression of him.

"So this person is outside of the company?"

"Yep"

Erwin let out a sigh and placed his right hand on his forehead, rubbing it. "First of all Hanji, I can't just let anyone, especially not to someone who is not a member of the institution, handle an assignment that our top client gave us. And second, I can't guarantee that this person you are suggesting will even do a great job"

"No Erwin! I promise that he will do good. He will be my responsibility" I said, trying my best to persuade him but Erwin seemed too tough to sway.

"That won't do Hanji" He replied.

"Then lets make a bet" Erwin looked at me with a little bit of interest in his eyes. "If the two of us did good in this event, you will accept this person as part of the company. But if we messed up, terminate me"

He smirked. "So you're saying that this event will be his ticket in this company?"

"Basically"

"That is too risky especially since I don't know what this person is capable of. But since I like that fire you have in your bet.." Erwin stood up from his chair and walking towards me, he held his hand "I accept it"

A smile plastered on my face as I shook his hand. "You will never regret accepting it Erwin"

He chuckled before he looked at me seriously. The sudden shift in his expression made me a little bit surprise. "Don't make me regret it Hanji. I don't want to lose one of my brightest crew after all"

"You got it!" I said standing up and running out of his office.

I just hit two birds with one stone. Technically, I helped myself remove some of the load of my job by having someone assist me and at the same time, I found Levi a job! Now I just have to convince that chibi and everything will go smooth.

As I happily walked through the building, I suddenly realized a thing. I have been opening up and helping a guy for the first time. And unlike how I did before, I don't feel uneasy nor annoyed. This is not who I am.

Love is only a distraction and nuisance since it makes you lose yourself.

My eyes widened when my words suddenly replayed in my head. No. This is not happening. You are just doing this Hanji because you are getting close with Levi. And also, he is a gay for pete's sake.

I laughed half heartedly and continued walking at the building while trying to erase my previous thoughts.

That is not happening.

I said in my head repeatedly.