5

Logan was once again unable to concentrate in class the next day. He had texted Virgil and he agreed to meet after school-along with Patton, of course-and head to a coffee shop nearby. He sighed, tapping impatiently on his desk. He wanted this entire meeting to be over and done with already.

Patton once again noticed his distress easily. He hadn't said anything about it, until Logan started tapping on the table instead of eating.

"Not going to eat?" Patton frowned, watching as Logan looked down at his food and grimaced.

"Not hungry." He muttered, tapping getting louder and faster. Patton stayed silent for a while, until he suddenly reached out a hand to take Logan's, successfully stopping his tapping.

"Logan, you don't have to meet up with him if you don't want to. It is up to you, and if you're this nervous about it then maybe it's best you don't go. You're allowed to change your mind, just know that I'll be by your side no matter what you choose!" The bubbly student offered him a reassuring smile, hoping he had helped at least a little.

"Thank you, Patton." Logan gave him a small smile of his own, that disappeared quickly. Patton knew he was grateful, though. "I... believe that I will be okay, although I can't help but be nervous. If things do not go well, then I won't meet him again. Simple as that."

Patton nodded, still smiling wide. "Well, if that's what you wanna do. I'm here for you!"

It didn't take long for the subject to change, Patton going off about something that had happened involving a puppy. Logan was happy to have a distraction, ignoring his worries and listening to his friend talk.

****

After their final class had ended Patton and Logan met under the same tree outside of the school that they had last time. They waited for what felt like forever, until most of the students had already left before Virgil finally arrived.

"Sorry for taking so long," he apologized. "Had to make sure I wasn't caught. Er, Logan... thanks again. For, y'know, agreeing to meet up with me. Even though you don't trust me."

"It is no big deal. We should probably be on our way now." Logan pointed out, the three of them beginning to walk towards the coffee shop they agreed to go to. It was silent on the way there, none of them knowing how to begin a conversation.

When they finally arrived and sat down with their drinks it was Patton who began to talk. "So, Virgil... Do you have many friends outside of Roman and Archer?"

Virgil shook his head. "No, I don't. They're the only kids who talk to me, except for you two now... er, why?"

"Just curious," Patton shrugged, and smiled. It wasn't like his usual bright grin, because he still didn't trust him entirely. "Why don't you talk to more people?"

Virgil frowned, unsure of how to explain. "I... uh, well... do I have to answer that?"

"You don't have to answer anything, no." Patton shrugged. "I'm just curious."

Although it was obvious he was asking for more reasons than just his own curiosity, Virgil nodded and went along with it. They didn't trust him yet, he knew that, and he understood why. As Patton continued to interrogate him it became obvious that he was just a normal lonely kid.

When Patton had run out of questions to ask he squinted at Virgil, like he was examining him. After a moment he nodded, seemingly pleased with what he found out. Then, his normal bright grin finally showed and it was obvious that Virgil had passed whatever test he had been put through. Patton trusted him now.

The conversation changed very quickly from uncomfortable interrogating to happy and lighthearted, Patton talking about things and including both Virgil and Logan into them. They talked for a while, learning more about each other and having fun. Virgil's smirk from the day before had shown up yet again, and even Logan had a hint of a smile on his lips.

Sometime later on, Patton got a text and told Virgil and Logan that he needed to go.

"Is that alright?" He shot Logan a worried look. "Will you be okay?"

"I am fine," Logan nodded, waving him off. "You don't have to worry about me."

Patton gave him one last unsure smile, nodded, and headed out the door quickly, leaving Virgil and Logan alone. Neither of them said anything for a bit, Logan staring at the door that Patton had disappeared out of. Virgil jumped when Logan finally spoke again.

"So... What made you want to apologize?" He frowned, looking over at Virgil. "Why now, after so long?"

Virgil shrugged, looking down at his hands in his lap. "It's... hard to explain. I don't like hanging out with Roman or Archer. They're... well, they're not very good people, I'm sure you've noticed."

Logan nodded. "Yes, I've definitely noticed."

"Sorry... well, anyways, I just... felt bad for how they've treated you. How I've treated you before. I wanted to change, and make better friends, and you were the first person I thought of." He shrugged again, still not looking up.

"If you didn't like being friends with them, why have you put up with them for so long?" Logan questioned, watching him closely.

"Really? Have you not noticed how terrified of talking to people I am?" He raised an eyebrow at Logan, scoffing and shaking his head. "If I didn't hang out with them, I'd be the weird kid in the back of the class who dresses weird and everyone hates. I'd be an outcast. That's why."

"And... treating others poorly and being popular is better than being a decent person with a few close friends who actually care about you?" Logan tried to reason, and Virgil sighed.

"Listen, I know it doesn't make any sense but.. I can't just ditch them, as much as I want to." He muttered, looking away again. Logan nodded, deciding not to press it any further. He changed the subject, and the two of them continued to talk until they both needed to leave.

As they went their separate ways Logan thought about all that had happened in the last few days. He went from having no friends at all to becoming friends with the new kid and one of his old bullies. He wasn't sure what to think of this, but he did feel curious to see what might come next.

If I actually go through with what I'm planning, there should be one or two more chapters out today. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, thanks for reading. Take care of yourselves. Bye!-Bob