28

"You believe me?" Virgil repeated. He sounded just as unsure as Logan, but also hopeful. "What exactly do you believe me about?"

"Everything. That Archer forced you, and that you left him. I asked a teacher after we talked about it, and he said he was expelled for getting into a fight. So at least I know you weren't lying about that." Logan reasoned, and Virgil nodded. "There's one thing I am unsure about, though..."

"What's that..?" Virgil questioned.

"Archer made you pretend to be friends with me," Logan started, pausing for a moment and worrying over his next question. Hesitantly, he continued. "Was... was anything about our friendship real? Did it actually mean anything for you when we started dating? Patton told me that you did care, but I... can't believe it. At least, not without seeing it for myself."

"It did," Virgil rushed out quickly. His hand shifted awkwardly, almost like he wanted to reach out for Logan. He couldn't, though. "It really did mean a lot to me Logan, I... You and Patton were the best friends I ever had. You saw how Archer was... I finally felt accepted as your friend, and you guys both meant-mean so much to me."

Logan took in his words, blinking furiously to hold back tears. "I can't... I can't believe that. I'm sorry. It's one thing for someone to say something, and it's another for them to show it."

"Would you..." Virgil started, glancing up at Logan and then to the ground. "Would you give me one last chance then...? To show you that I care, and that... I want to be friends again. I understand if you never want to be more than that again, but I don't think I could stand losing you completely again. Please.."

Logan's face remained neutral, but inside his head he was fighting himself. He wanted to forgive him, he wanted to be friends again. He believed him when he said he had left Archer, so why not believe him now? He didn't want to get hurt again, but if he didn't at least try then he would lose a friend all over again.

Logan didn't realize he had started crying until arms were thrown around him in a tight hug. His own arms hovered awkwardly, unsure of whether or not to return the hug. He noticed Virgil crying too, saw how concerned he looked, how much he cared. Logan broke down even more, returning the hug and hiding his face in Virgil's shoulder. He felt embarrassed, especially knowing that they were still in front of the school and anyone could see the two of them. He didn't understand why he was crying, but he couldn't stop.

"Okay," he mumbled, not looking up from Virgil's shoulder.

"Okay?" Virgil repeated, voice just as soft as his had been, and Logan nodded.

"One more chance. That's it. I don't know if we can ever be more than just friends again, but I will give you one more chance." Logan explained. He felt Virgil's arms around him tighten, and felt even more tears from where Virgil's head was by his own shoulder.

The two of them simply stood there, too relieved that all of this was over to even worry about where they were or who might see them. There was still some sadness felt by both of the students knowing that they may never be in the same relationship they were before, but for now that didn't matter. They were friends again, and in that moment, that was the most important thing in the world.

This chapters a little short.... what'd you think about me making up for it by posting the last two chapters later today..?