Chapter 21

April 24th, 2013 (30 weeks pregnant)

Lazily my eyes open and the sun shines in on them. I scrunch my eyebrows and eyes then move my hand to block the sun. Small comforting feelings come from my stomach making me look down to see Mike lightly running his fingers across the span of my now huge stomach. Gradually a smile goes across my face and I slowly reach out to run my fingers through Mike's hair.

He looks up at me and smiles then goes back to my stomach. The sun was shining on my skin and Mike looked so happy. "Usually she's a lot more active when I do this," Mike says and I realize she's not kicking.

"You're right. Maybe she's just tired." I say and he nods his head then continues to rub my stomach lovingly. I run my fingers through his hair and we just lay there; making thoughts circle in my head. Why isn't she moving? What is wrong with my baby?

I let these thought steep and dread falls over me. Something isn't right. "M-Mike?" I ask and he looks up at me. I gulp and take in a large shaky breath. "We need to go to the hospital. Now." I say and he jumps up.

"Why?" he asks and he looks over me.

"Something isn't right," I say then he takes in a sharp breath.

"Alright do you want me to carry you to the car or can you walk?" he asks when I try to get out of bed. It seemed fine so I look at Mike and I nod my head. He grabs our shoes then we head out to the car. He quickly walks over to my side and opens the door for me.

I slip in and place my hands on my stomach. "You better be okay in there little thing," I say and rub lightly. Mike gets in the car and hands me my shoes. Frantically I put my shoes on then lean back into the chair and take a deep breath.

"I'm sure she's fine," Mike says and I nod my head with a fake smile on my face.

"Yeah. We're... we're just going to check on her. To make sure." I say and he nods his head. He pulls out his phone and dials someone number.

"Hey, they Dr. Roseland. We're coming in. Tony feels like something isn't right and... we haven't felt her kick in a while." he says and I close my eyes. Slowly I feel tears gather in my eyes and breathing gets harder and harder. What if my little girl is gone before I even get to hold her.

Mike and I drive in silence till we get to the hospital. There was thick tension and fear.

We pull into the hospital and Mike runs over to my side. He throws open my door and helps me stand up. He wraps his arms around my waist and we walk over to the front door. Dr. Roseland was there waiting and when she sees us she walks over to us. "What's going on?" she asks.

"We woke up and I was rubbing tony's stomach. Usually when I do that the baby kicks and rolls around but she didn't today. Tony just feels like something is wrong." Mike says.

"Well, that usually means there is," she says then people crowd us and start to take me to the room. In a blur, my clothes are taken off and I'm out in a gown. Dr. Roseland pulls out the ultrasound machine and starts to look around.

Mike grabs my hands and we both stare at the screen. A heartbeat comes up and I start to cry. "Don't let that fool you. The heart beats slow and it doesn't look good. We're doing an emergency C-section. Someone will come prep you for surgery right now." Dr. Roseland says and I start to feel sick.

She's coming, she's coming today. "Mike." I cry when I feel him wrap his arms around me. I start to things about my pregnancy and everything I could have done to cause this. Why is she having a hard time and why does she have to come early.

"It's okay Tony. It's okay. She's going to be okay. We're gonna get her out." he whispers to me and I fight against him.

"What did I do Mike? She's too early I'm not due for another ten weeks! It was that damn April fools joke! We brought this on ourselves!' I cry out loudly and Mike kisses my head over and over.

"She's alive Tony and they're going to keep her that way but you getting stressed is only hurting her," he says with a really shaky voice and tears in his eyes. I take a deep breath and nod my head. A nurse comes in and starts to talk but I just go through the motions not caring what she was saying or doing. I was numb and all I cared about was that fact that my little girl was dying inside of me.

Soon enough they moved me to the surgery bed and started to wheel me to the OR. Mike never left my side through all this and as we enter the OR Mike stands by my head.

"What are we going to name her?" I ask Mike and he looks at me with a raised eyebrow.

"We never picked did we?" he asks and I shake my head. He laughs slightly then tears come to his eyes.

"No we didn't but we need to cause either we're going to have a daughter today or a funeral to plan," I say and Mike just looks at me blankly. I look away when the doctors start talking to me.

"You're going to feel a slight pressure." Dr. Roseland says and then I feel it. A slight pressure then tugging feeling but no pain. I take in a deep breath then Mike leans down and kisses my forehead. I clench my eyes together and feel tears gather in my eyes.

"She's going to be okay," he says and I nod my head numbly.

"She's going to be so tiny," I say and he nods his head as well.

"Yeah.... Yes, she is," he says then si goes quiet except for the doctors talking and the heart monitors and all that.

"She's coming out." Dr. Roseland says then I hear a little quiet cry. My eyes go wide and tear leave my eyes as fast as they come. Dr. Roseland walks over to me with a little bundle in her arms. She shows me my little girl and I gasp. She was so small and looked so frail.

"We're going to go do tests. I don't know what's going to happen but I'm sorry Tony," she says and I start to cry as they quickly take her away. I reach out for her then my hand drops. I let out a loud cry and Mike grips onto my hand.

"She's so small! Mike, what the hell did I do?"

"Nothing baby. You didn't do anything." Mike says whispering in my ear. I start to cry hard then make Mike look me in the eyes.

"Catalina. If she doesn't make it or if she does her name is going to be Catalina Rose Fuentes." I say and he smiles and nods his head. I start to cry when it gets harder to breathe. I'm going to lose my daughter.

"We have to sedate him. It's not safe for him to be hyperventilating." they women says then everything goes black.